(141) Cold

The feeling of dread had set in Florence's head as she awoke the next day, instantly remembering that she had to actually come out of her room and face the world, otherwise Scrimgeour would give away her slot to other people. She wasn't going to lose that opportunity.

It did not take her awhile to get ready, throwing on the first thing she saw in her closet before fixing up her hair. She took one hard look at herself in the mirror. She definitely looked like a mess.

She unlocked her bedroom door, yanking it open ever so carelessly, not anticipating a certain redhead to be leaning against it on the other side.

Fred came toppling into her room on his back, the shock of the fall startling him slightly, but even more when he looked up and saw Florence in the flesh for what seemed to be the first time in weeks.

"Hey." was all he could say, as he quickly collected himself off of the floor, "Are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah," she replied, not bothering to look at him as she did so, "I won't be long."

"Wait," Fred said immediately, "Honestly, you've been in there for weeks and that's all you have to say? I've missed you, love. I expected you to interact with me a little bit more."

She paused in her tracks, swiveling around, "What do you want me to say, then?" she shot back, the hopeful look on Fred's face faltering as he saw the emptiness in her eyes. Her once brilliant, bright personality was dulled by her unbearable grief.

"I just want to know how you're feeling."

"Horrible. Nothing's changed. Now if you don't mind, I need to get going." she replied curtly, before running down the stairs, past the living room where Sloan had been with both Remus and Julien, and out the door without a single word.

Sloan frowned as he heard the door shut, looking up at where Fred had been standing, "What happened? I thought she'd atleast be a little glad to see you."

"I thought so too," he huffed, coming down the stairs to join the group, "If only she'd open up, you know? It's not good that she's bottling up everything. I'm here for her, we all are. I wish she'd realize that."

"If there's one thing I know she inherited from both Jane and Gabriel, it's their stubbornness." Sloan said, "Deep down she knows that she needs you, but she's just too stubborn to give in to that."

"I'm worried she'll be cold," Fred admitted, "I've never seen her like that, ever."

"Grief can do the worst to even the happiest person." Remus said, "Just give her time, Fred. I'm sure she will come to her senses. Just continue showing her that you're there for her."

"I don't plan on quitting any time soon," he replied, "I love her."

This made Sloan smile slightly, "That's the type of love she needs right now. Unconditional love."

———————

Florence had only been inside the Ministry of Magic a handful of times, most of them spent waiting in boredom inside her mother's office, or, what was once her mother's office.

It was as if her feet couldn't help itself, as she found herself walking to the direction of her mum's office, wondering if they had already cleared it out. She wanted to see it, what was left, how she had left it. She knew that her mum was at work when she had asked Emmy to send the letter.

Maybe she shouldn't have bothered.

If she hadn't, her mother would be in her office for the rest of the night, away from the whole Order ordeal, away from dangerous Death Eaters. But then Harry and the rest wouldn't have had the reinforcements that they needed. They wouldn't have gotten out of there alive.