Part One of Chapter Ten: Family Dinner

Some time later...

     "Mom, I promise he's not going to notice if one section of our house isn't vacuumed," you state while shaking your head with a playful grin on your face. "Don't make such a fuss."

     "Everything has to be perfect!" Retorts Clementine as she throws a rag in your face. "Markiplier-- Mark is going to be in our house!"

     "He's just a person, Clementine," you reply while dusting off a vase. "He's just like you and I."

     "What are you a Disney princess or something?" She questions while placing her hands on her hips. Her eyebrow raises itself towards you. "Of course you wouldn't understand how big of a deal this is for anyone else-- you didn't even know he existed a few months ago!"

     "Well, then it's your fault I met him," you reply with a sly grin as Clementine sticks out her tongue to you. "No one to blame but yourself, darling."

     Your mother shoots you a glare before returning to tidying up the living room. "I'll have no more arguing in this household, understand? I must admit, I'm excited to meet him-- I've never met a celebrity before!"

     "Mom! He's not a celebrity, he's a person!" You plea while predicting everyone giving him the celebrity treatment. "We must treat him as one."

     "I'm interested in meeting this man, too," your father says as he puts dinner into the oven. "Rather odd how someone of such popularity would want to come here."

     "For me, of course!" Yells Clementine from across the room as she jumps to clean the top of the fireplace.

     You roll your eyes out view of the others. "I'm going to get ready," you say while walking up the stairs. Shutting your bedroom door, you try on dress after dress until finding the perfect green one to wear. After bathing and fixing your hair, you put on some make up and the emerald dress before finally feeling complete as you stare at yourself in the mirror. 

     "He's here!" Squeals Clementine loudly. She seems to be trying to catch her breath, causing you to believe she's going to faint from loss of oxygen. "The Uber just dropped him-- he's walking up the driveway!"

     You find yourself smiling for an unknown reason, fixing your hair so it falls perfectly and smoothing your dress so it lies neatly. The doorbell rings as your father answers the door. Mark stands there in a nice shirt holding one bouquet of roses, one of lilies, and a small singular sunflower. He smiles brightly upon seeing everyone, but seems to stare in awe when his eyes land on you. You return a soft smile while feeling your cheeks go warm.

     "Mark!" Your sister shouts, practically jumping into his arms. "You're here!"

     "It's great to see you, too, Clem!" He laughs while holding out the singular sunflower towards her. "This is for you, seemed appropriate for such a ray of sunshine."

     Clementine looks as though she's about to cry, hugging Mark tightly. "I love it!" She exclaims, releasing Mark from their embrace.

     "Hello, I'm (Y/N) and Clementine's father. This is my wife," Mark graciously shakes their outstretched hands. "It's wonderful to meet you, Mark. We've heard many great things about you."

     Mark smiles widely. "The pleasure's all mine!" He replies, now taking the bouquet of lilies into his hand. "These are for you, Madam." Your mother gasps in delight as she pulls him in to give him a kiss on the cheek.

     "These are beautiful, thank you, Mark," she says with a slight blush on her cheeks.

     You step up before him as he suddenly seems nervous. "Hello, Mark," you say innocently as you embrace him. "Glad you were able to make it."

     "I wouldn't miss it for the world," He chuckles. "Hello, (Y/N). You're looking as lovely as ever," he now places the bouquet of roses out in front of him, seeming as though he almost forgot about them upon seeing you. "These are for you."

     "Always with the roses," you smirk up at him, accepting them into your own arms. He blushes immensely, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. "Thank you, they're lovely."

     "Won't you come sit down," your mother says as everyone proceeds to the living room, yourself sitting very close to Mark on the couch. "Dinner will be ready in a few minutes!"

     "I'll take the flowers into the kitchen," offers Clementine, taking them from your arms. "They need water and a vase."

     "I like her," Mark whispers to you, sending a chill to course through your body. Who knew someone could make you feel this way.

     "Did you just shiver, (Y/N)? Are you cold?" Asks your father, unaware to the real reason you caught a chill.

     You almost burst out laughing over the awkward situation. "No, I'm fine, thanks."

     Clementine returns from her quest for a vase and water and stares down Mark from the other couch. You've noticed for the past ten minutes of conversation that she hasn't taken her eyes off him and feel as though Mark has noticed, too. Raising your eyebrow to her, she looks away with a pouting facial expression. Everything is going smoothly. Your father and Mark have struck up a conversation about engineering that has them both laughing and getting along quite well. Clementine tries to laugh with them, even though she has no idea why or what she's laughing at.

     "I'm going to go help in the kitchen," you say while standing from the couch. Before your butt has even left the seat, Clementine rushes over to take your place.

     "She just wants first pickings of the food," laughs your father as you dismiss his statement with a head shake. "It's her favorite, chicken Parmesan."

     Mark laughs along with your father before winking at you. "Sounds delicious."

     You smile for a moment. "Mom's is the best you'll ever taste," you reply while walking towards the kitchen.

     "So, how did you end up meeting my two daughters?" You hear your father ask as you walk into the kitchen. Your mother has basically everything almost prepared on the dining room table.

     "I like him," she whispers to you with a sweet smile. Your heat seems to flutter at her approval. "And it seems as though your father does, too."

     You smile lightly while placing forks at everyone's place. "I'm glad and do hope so," you reply while noticing that the roses are placed in a vase at the center of the table.

     "Maybe you two can go catch a movie or something-- only if it's not too late," offers your mother as she places the knives onto the table. "You said he only has today and tomorrow to visit, right?"

     You frown slightly, remembering all your worries about falling in love with him. He wasn't going to be around like this, he was leaving. "That's right," you reply quietly as you feel your throat is dry.

     "Might as well make the best of it," your mother responds seriously. She was right, as usual. You had to make the best impression and every moment count. "Would you go let everyone know that dinner is ready?"

Author's Note: By far my favorite chapter to write-- and there's still more to come!