Chapter Eleven: Travel Ticket

You stop walking, causing him to turn and look back at you. "What did you say?" You question quietly as Mark bites his lip while messing up his hair. "Los Angeles? Mark, I-- I just don't see how this could possibly work."

     "You'd be with me," he says, taking your hands into his own as the wind sweeps the hair off your shoulders. "We'd be happy and together and-- I'm falling in love with you. I wouldn't have stopped here if I wasn't in love with you! Don't you feel something too?"

     "You're what?" You question as your eyes turn like saucers. "Mark, I am halfway across the country, I don't see how we could be together."

     "That's why I'm asking you to come with me!" He states with a look of defeat on his face. "So we can be together-- don't you want that, or have I been led on?"

     "I want that more than anything-- but what about me? I would have to find a new job, find a house, and leave my family," you list as the glimmer in his eyes seems to diminish. Your hands now reach up and hold his face, demanding he look you in the eyes. "I need time for such a big step, this is too much to decide tonight. You understand that, don't you?"

     Mark nods his head hesitantly. "As long as you'll consider it, I'm content." He says with saddened eyes. You want to go with him, but can't see how it would be possible. Where would you even get the money for such a trip?

     You smile sweetly before bringing his forehead to your lips for a moment of utter bliss. "Don't worry, this isn't the end," you try to comfort him. "I just have to sort out my life first."

     "I could wait forever knowing that there's hope," he replies while taking your face into his hands. Wiping a silent tear that had escaped your eye, he smiles kindly down at you. "I'd like to see you before I leave for New York tomorrow, but if you aren't able to, I understand."

     "I have work until five thirty tomorrow at the coffee shop, but maybe I can get off early--" you say before realizing how badly you're hurting him. "What time is your flight boarding?"

     "Five o'clock in the afternoon," he responds as you both once again walk down the street towards your house. You grab onto his arm, resting your head against it as you walk. The atmosphere which was once so full of life seems to diminish into sadness. "I don't know how I'll be able to leave you." He whispers which causes you to look up at him. This time, however, he doesn't return your gaze.

     The rest of the way home is mostly in silence as you enjoy each other's company for the last time in a long time. You're able to see the lights left on inside your house for you as the Uber Mark had requested a while back was parked outside.

     "Come with me," he says once more, giving your hand a squeeze as you reach the front of your house.

     "Don't go," you whisper while holding onto his hand tightly, not wanting to let him go.

     Gingerly and sweetly, Mark tilts your head up and kisses you. The pain can be felt in your separation, but also the passion of two connected lovers. Who knew you were going to fall head over heels for him, certainly you didn't.

     "Goodbye," you whisper in an almost inaudible tone as you embrace him for a final time.

     He looks into your eyes. "I'll see you later, okay?" Mark questions as he walks backwards from your porch towards the Uber, watching you every step of the way. Your heart is breaking into a million pieces, why aren't you stopping him?

     He opens the Uber door and pauses for a moment before climbing inside. The car starts to pull away as you can feel hot tears blind your vision of the vanishing vehicle. "Okay," you whisper as the car is finally out of view.

     "Hi, honey," your mother says as you walk downstairs for breakfast. "How was last night? Your father and I fell asleep long before you came home-- I hope Mark wasn't offended."

     "He asked me to go with him," you respond as everyone now stares wide-eyed in your direction. "Back to California, I mean."

     "What did you say?" Your father asks as he holds a piece of bacon in his hand.

     "I told him I couldn't with my work and you all," you reply almost seeing a sad gleam in everyone's eyes. "It just couldn't be possible."

     "What time is he leaving?" Questions Clementine with sadness in her tone. "Will we get to see him again?"

     "I don't think so, Clem," you reply while sitting at the table, drinking some orange juice from your glass. "I have work till five thirty today and he boards his plane at five o'clock."

     "I surely thought you would accepted his offer," your father states as he eats a part of his omelet. "I would have-- there's so much more to do in California and so many dreams you could chase after there."

     "What?" You ask looking at everyone at the table with a very confused expression. "You all want me to go?"

     "It's far, but if you love him and think he's a good person," your mother starts. "Then go, don't let him get away."

     "I can't just pick up my life and leave!" You yell while standing from the table. "I have a life here! I can't just decide I love someone and move halfway across the country! I just-- can't."

     Everyone seems taken back by your outburst. Your father clears his throat. "It's your decision, but just remember that we support you either way."

     You sit back down and finish eating, wondering if you're making a mistake. "Thank you, I appreciate that," you say quietly.

     "Perhaps, if you went, you could finally follow your dream-- Los Angeles is where all the aspiring actresses and singers go!" Your mother suggests while eating a forkful of eggs. Your father and mother look at each other before she slides an envelope towards you. "You could pursue your dream-- and Mark."

     "What is this?" You ask while opening the envelope. Inside is all the money you'd need for a plane ticket. You look up at your parents and then slide the envelope back. "I can't accept this-- at least not right now. I'm so confused and undecided-- I have no idea what I'm going to do."

     "Well, it'll be here when you decide," your father says with a kind smile. "It's your life and we want to help you make it the best one."

     "Thank you," you respond. Standing from your seat, you give them each a hug and a kiss. "I should probably go get ready for work-- I'll see you all when I get home."