Chapter 27 - Victim 3 & 4

"MUM!!" 

Running frantically towards her, the rain splashed against my clothes, staining them with her blood. My skirt which was utterly drenched from the rain was sticking to my bare legs. 

I didn't care about Min Jun at this point. 

She was laying there. Losing blood. 

My mother that I had longed to see. 

She was dying. 

Shaking terribly, my bare knees hit the rough ground before I reached out for her. Horrified, my fingers trembled as I held her shoulders, trying to grab her who seemed so fragile and weak. Her face appeared in my view as I turned her over so that she could at least breathe properly, laying on her back. The strong scent of blood had enveloped her as I held her cold hand, gripping her limp fingers so that she wouldn't hopelessly slip away from me. 

"How could you..." I cried.

Gritting my teeth, I turned my head towards Min Jun. I glanced at the still figure who was wiping his pocketknife against his clothes. Lethargically, he seemed to take a second to glimpse at me and my mother as he shook the knife a couple of times, letting the remaining blood drip down onto the earth. 

"Oh sorry, I thought you wanted some last moments?" He questioned amusingly. 

"You're vile." I spat at him as more tears fell. 

Instantly, I looked down as her feeble fingers trembled slightly under my grasp. 

"Mi Young..." She took in a hurried breath as her words were barely audible. 

I gripped her fingers even tighter as I nodded quickly while gazing down at her. Her hair and skin were also tainted with blood as the rain dripped down her face. Whimpering from the sight in front of me and the cold rain that drenched us both, I held in my cries as she painfully smiled. 

"G-Guess t-this is our first meet...a-and last."  Her lips trembled. 

I shook my head unwillingly.

"D-Don't say t-things like that." I denied. 

"I-I'm sorry...I c-could only w-watched y-you from a d-distance." 

Lowering my head at her statement, I sobbed. 

"Well, look at that. A mother and her daughter's first...and final reunion." 

His voice travelled to my ears as he casually sauntered around us. 

Slowly shifting my gaze, I watched as the figure beneath me seem to bring her other hand to my knees. Her quivering hand loosened the object that she had wanted to give to me. 

Reaching out to hold her ice-cold hand, I grabbed the small black device from her hands. Gradually, I realised my mother's meaning as I held the rectangular object tight. 

Almost instantly, her fingers had ceased their trembling. I looked down at her in panic. 

"N-N-No. D-Don't." I let out some desperate sobs. 

Remembering her gentle touch, I gripped her hand hoping that she won't slip away from me as she reached out, pressing her other hand against my cheek. 

I shook my head in disbelief. 

She gave me one last smile before whispering her last words. 

"I love you, Mi Young." 

Her hand dropped. Her shallow breaths ceased. 

I sobbed even harder. 

Only my cries and sobs were heard in the subsequent moments.