Trust Issues :Chapter 16

Note: I will be skipping quite a bit of different episodes through this chapter.

-----------------------

House lock. That was about the only way I could describe it. With Wes here and, everyone having a meltdown around me, I couldn't afford to leave him alone. He may have came back for me in a sense, but I still couldn't trust him, or his motives.

Audrey had kept me up to date though, how much was still questionable. It was like Lakewood had plunged into chaos. Brooke had given a speech about Jake and, god help the person who talked to her now. As for Noah, he had given in, taking Zoë to the Lakewood pageant. He had called of course, simply saying she didn't have a date and that he felt bad.

"Noah, I really don't mind." I had chuckled, holding the phone to my ear, my eyes continuing to glance over at Wes who was completing one of my moms old jigsaw puzzles.

"Really Vex? I'm dead serious, I just didn't want her to be alone. She knows we're together, she just asked if I could go as a friend." I sighed, shaking my head with a smile. Didn't he realize that I trust him?

"Noah. I trust you. I'll talk to you later, alright?" He sighed on the other end.

"Alright. I love you." He said. I smiled.

"Love you too, loser."

"You know---" Wes said, looking at me from across the couch. "There's something I can't shake." I rolled my eyes, sipping at the diet coke in my hand. 

"Enlighten me." I said. 

"That boy, Noah. When he had called, you said you trusted him." Wes began. "And that you loved him." I peeked up from my book at Wes, trying to understand what he was getting to. 

"And that means what to you? That I moved on?" Wes shook his head. 

"No, I'm glad you moved on. Ecstatic actually, I don't have to deal with your constant moaning about your father anymore." Hurt flooded through me as he said the words so cruelly, so emotionless like we hadn't both been in love. "I just remember a girl who, said she'd never be able to fall in love, that she'd never trust anyone enough to do so. Does Noah know this little piece of information?" Wes asked, a smirk rising on his face. I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes as I stared at him, biting my lip to keep it from quivering. 

"No, because he didn't need to." I stood from my seat. "Unlike someone, he fell in love with me because I was strong, not because I was some weak toy." There it was, the slightest flinch though, I nearly hadn't caught it. 

"You needed me." Wes said, standing from him seat. "You always have. You needed me to be around to teach you how to protect yourself. Without me, you probably would have truly died that night and none of this would have happened." I glared, my hurt turning into calm rage. 

"You could have just stayed away. If you hated me that much, why didn't you just leave?" Wes rolled his eyes, though, his reply didn't come instantly. 

"I mean-" He began. "You would have just been a sobbing mess around school and, really, I didn't need that following me around." He said. I could see the lie right through him but, my anger was pushing forward. 

"Then why did you come back? If you didn't love me, if you really hated me that much, then why are you here? Just leave! I don't want you back!" I screamed. "I spent every day since you supposedly died hating myself, wishing you hadn't gotten involved. I threw myself into The Last Scream, worked my ass off to make it into something! All for you! So just leave!" The calm had turned into hysteria. Tears were spilling from my eyes as I backed away from him, trying to stop. I was angry, I was hurt and I wanted him to feel every punch I threw at him. I wanted him to hurt but, I knew he couldn't take me seriously, not while I cried. 

"Evangeline." Wes whispered. 

"Don't call me that." I growled, biting my tongue as I tried to stop the crying. 

"I didn't-" From the coffee table, my phone began to buzz, sliding towards the edge. Without even glancing at Wes, I stood, walking over and picking up the phone. Audrey's face popped onto my phone, her smile literally lighting up the screen. Pressing the answer button, I held it up to my ear. 

"Hello." Even though I tried to hide it, I couldn't. It didn't matter though, Audrey had no time to ask. My phone was halfway to the floor as I ran towards the door, grabbing my keys and sprinting out. 

"He has Noah. Cafe." Was all she said. 

Making my way to my car, I heard the front door slam behind me as well as footsteps following. 

"Vex!" Wes called, I didn't wait. I opened the front door, crawling into the seat and starting the engine. Before I could close my door however, the passenger side opened, Wes sliding in. 

"What are you doing?" I growled. Rage was coursing through me once more. This killer had taken Noah and, there was going to be a bloodbath if I had my way. 

"Where are we going?" Wes asked. I shook my head, closing my door. 

"We aren't going anywhere." I said, putting emphasis on 'we'. Wes rolled his eyes. 

"Like hell I'm letting you go alone. Whoever was on the line said something to send your from crying hysteria to calculated rage." Wes said, pulling his seat belt on. 

"Wes, I don't have time for this. Get out and leave." I demanded. Wes shook his head, holding his ground. I groaned. "Fine!" I pushed the stick into reverse, pressing the gas and swinging into the street before pushing it into drive and taking off.

-----------------------------------------