Angel Of Death: Chapter 20

A sob broke through my chest as I stepped away from Wes, dropping the knife. From the corner of the room, the phone began to ring, awaking the old landline. 

"Wes, you need to leave, and you need to leave now." Wes gave me a puzzled look, stepping forward. 

"Why? Why do I need to leave and where did you get that knife?" He asked. I shook my head, taking another step away from him. 

"Wes, we both need to go and, we need to go now." Wes took another step closer, holding out his hands. 

"Why? I thought he wanted us here? If we leave, Noah will die and you'll never forgive yourself. I can't let that happen again." He said. Reaching out, I grabbed his hand, letting him pull me towards him, only to grip it tight and drag him out of the room, leaving the knife far behind. 

"Because to save Noah, he wants me to kill you. That's why you're here. He wants me to be just like him and I can't. We'll have to find some other way. There has to be another way." I dragged him along towards the front doors, my heart skipping a beat as I reached out, grabbing the handle and pulling. Nothing happened. I tried again but, the door wouldn't budge. 

"What the hell?" Wes asked, letting go of my hand and trying himself. I felt my throat constrict and my chest tighten. He was locking us in here. He wasn't going to let me leave. 

"He wants this to happen. He wont let us leave." I whimpered. Wes whirled around, gripping my shoulders tightly. 

"Vex, pull it together. Neither of us are going to die. We're both going to get out of here. We're going to save Noah and we're going to end this bitch once and for all, alright? I promise." He said. Looking up at him, I nodded. He smiled gently. "Good, now, is there a-" All around us, every phone within the building began to ring, creating a chorus of horror. My breathing stopped as the sound echoed throughout the building, pulsing within my head.

"Stop it." I said, looking around. Where was he? "Stop it!" I screamed. The lights went out and the alley went silent. I reached out, searching through the dark until my fingers brushed Wes's shirt. Grabbing onto it, I sighed. 

"Are you alright?" I asked. 

"If by alright you mean alive and mildly terrified than yes, I'm alright." With my free hand, I reached down into my pocket, pulling out my phone and turning on the flashlight, allowing the small light to illuminate a small part of the room. "We need to get to the back door and get out of here. Come on, I know the way." I said. I felt Wes's hand wrap around mine, pulling my grip from his shirt and letting it rest in his as I guided the way towards the exit. With each shadow, I felt him twitch slightly, anticipating an attack from the shadows. 

"We're going to be fine." I whispered, more trying to reassure myself rather than him. Something wasn't right about this place. How was he here? If he was, that meant that there was no threat to Audrey and Emma, that they could possibly find Noah. That meant that we were the ones in danger. But, if he wasn't, that would mean that I was once again playing into his game. A simple pawn to distract from finding the peace he was about to take. I tried to clear my head of my thoughts, but each time, it came down to the one question. Where was he really? 

A light buzzing sound began to emit from the speakers, disrupting the silence and causing both Wes and I to jump slightly. Before either of us could react, cries for help began to pierce through the speakers, causing me to drop my phone, bathing Wes and I in complete darkness. I lost my grip on him and then I was alone, shouting for him. I could hear him lightly but, it was as if the cries were getting louder, blocking out anything but the screams. I continued to shout for him until I heard the voice more clearly. Hayden.