C7: Jamie

The fridge was empty so we decided to stop at a coffee shop for breakfast.

Kaffee it was called. I later figured out that was German for coffee.

It was small and dark, drenched in multiple shades of brown and wood, but gave a cozy feel as soon as you walked in the door.

Steve had his dark glasses on with his favorite blue hat and I had my hair pulled back and my favorite black jacket on with black leather gloves to conceal my arm. We usually dressed like this, to try and look like normal people, and every now and then someone would give us that glare... but it didn't matter, at the end of the day no one knew a thing.

I stepped up to the counter as Steve went and sat down at a small table in the corner.

"Hi how can I help you?" A blonde girl said with a smile from behind the counter.

She was bubbly, and happy, giving off the friendly feel that reminded me of someone I once knew. Actually, she reminded me of Caroline, except she looked older and had green eyes.

"Oh um, a black coffee and an iced americano." I replied a little dumbfounded by her resemblance.

"Sure what size?"

"...Small."

"Okay I'll have that up in a minute." She smiled.

I waited at the counter and looked behind me. The place was empty besides an old couple near the door, and no one was standing in line, besides me.

Steve was sitting at our table, looking at a newspaper he picked up when we walked in. He liked to read off of papers still... it just kept a little bit of our time in tact, which was nice.

I stared at him and smiled. He was looking so distraughtly at an article on the front, his face confused, but rational. Typical Steve qualities.

"He's cute." I heard a voice interrupt my staring.

"Hmm?" I turned back to the counter.

"Your boyfriend, he's cute." She pointed at Steve.

"Oh. Um. We're uh... not dating." I mumbled  confusedly.

She laughed to herself mumbling an 'okayyy' under her breath as she turned to get the coffee of the bar behind her.

"One iced americano, and one black coffee."

She set them down with a smile.

"Thanks um..." I mumbled, searching her shirt for a name tag.

"Jamie." She responded.

"Jamie... that's an interesting name."

"I know, I know, I was named after my uncle." She replied with a mumble towards the end.

"Your uncles name was Jamie?" I spoke my thoughts out loud, mentally slapping myself for letting the words slip out.

"No you idiot, his name was James!" She laughed.

I felt a smile creeping up on my face. She seemed so carefree and happy, it was contagious.

"So why are you named after your uncle then?" I whispered taking a sip of my coffee.