fifty nine

LOUIS' POV

Everyone's eyes were on me now. Every pair of airs looking at, staring at me, questioning me. They knew something would happen with the sudden change of dress code. But no one asked. No one dared to ask.

In the quiet room, I heard nothing. Nothing but my own body. My breath quickened, elongated with every breath. The sound of my heartbeat thudding hard, loud in my ear. I could hear the low crinkles of my dress shirt moving as my chest rapidly rose and fell.

My hands started to sweat. Clenching and unclenching as my eyes looked out into the sea of eyes looking back at me. I blinked.

I scanned every table. Every head. Every pair of eyes. Some were weary, sad, tired, confused, or annoyed. It seemed like forever until I reached the table I was sitting at.

David, Heather, Tyler, and Natalie all had confused expression displaying on their faces. Eyebrows scrunched, mouth slightly pursed. I blinked.

Then, my eyes fell on her. Her, who caused me so much frustration. Her, who countered me on everything I say. Her, who threatened to bald me the moment she met me. Her, who didn't give two shits about me, my status, or my feelings.

My eyes softened as they looked at her. Her, whose smile brightens my day. Her, whose voice is soft like an angel's. Her, whose face is the most beautiful masterpiece I've ever laid eyes on. Her, who planned this party for me despite me telling her not to. Her, who cares for me more than anyone else possibly could.

I studied her beautiful face. Her eyes were a light shade of brown, enhanced by the soft pink eye shadow she always uses. Her cheeks blushed from embarrassment as she felt all eyes on us. Her lips slightly parted in surprise at my sudden action. Small tendrils of hair falling delicately along the edges of her.

My eyes found hers again. They were wide, silently urging me on. "It's not all wrong." I repeated. Alexis stood frozen in place. Her eyes speaking a million words as I never looked away.

"Why?" Natalie spoke after moments of silence. Everyone's head at our table looked at her. "Sorry, that should have been Alex's line but she's not speaking." Natalie muttered, but my gaze never shifted from the woman in front of me.

"Why?" Alexis spoke softly, her voice had a hint of confusion.

I took a breath. "I changed some things." My hands started to sweat more, unintentionally wiping my palms on my pants. I took the silence that filled the air as my cue.

I stepped closer to her. Her scent overwhelming my body as I took a breath. Standing in front of her, I must have been breathing like I just ran a marathon.

"I know today is my birthday and that you want it to be a special day for me, but I don't care about my birthday." I told her.

A hand was raised at the far back of the room before a woman's voice erupted from the silence. "I'm sorry, honey, but you need to speak louder." A few chuckles were heard and the emcee placed a microphone stand in the middle of Alexis and I.

I heard my breath spread throughout the whole ballroom as I breathed out. A nervous chuckle escaped me. "To me, my birthday would be another day to get high not a day to celebrate." I paused, needing it as I heard myself speak the words out loud. The words hitting me like a truck as I remembered my past birthdays and how miserable I was.

"However, thanks to you, I am not that guy anymore. I'm not an asshole who thinks that everyone has to do what I say and that the earth revolves around me. You helped me become a nicer, kinder, gentler, more well-dressed, open-minded kind of guy. " I rambled on.