Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Jane was in a whirlwind around her apartment. It felt like kind of a shame to have paid up the month's rent, only to realize she wouldn't be living here for almost a full month, but that wasn't the way things worked, and she wasn't about to risk that Silvio wouldn't let her come back later on if she forgot anything.

Her computer was important. That and the charger, the USB sticks where she kept her back ups, and then her back ups of her back ups.

If she left without those things then she'd end up crying fat tears, or throwing a fit because there was no way in hell she was going to not be working while she was living it up in Silvio's big mansion.

As Jane packed up her gym back, she realized with a start that she'd never been to his house before.

On top of the fact that he'd almost never been here either, Jane only just then started thinking about all the places they'd been whenever they went on their dates.

And she used that term loosely.

There hadn't been anymore bathroom incidents, with the one exception of that fancy restaurant he'd taken her to.

Silvio had made a joke at the time that since they'd first met while drunkenly having sex in the bathroom stall of a club when Jane had been wearing stockings with holes at the knees in short shorts, black platform shoes and a top so loose and thin that he could have torn it off her body, that he wanted to Christen one of his favorite restaurants by making love to her inside their bathroom while she'd been decked out in one of her nicer dresses wearing the high heels he liked so damned much.

Aside from that, literally every other time they'd had sex, it was when Silvio had taken her to a nice hotel. Sometimes they spent the night together, but for the most part they didn't.

Jane had wanted to keep things separate between them. She didn't want to draw the attention of people with cameras whenever she was out with Silvio, and she certainly wasn't ready to go over to his house, or let him come to hers.

It was bad enough when the waiters and hotel staff looked at the pair of them with knowing eyes, as if it was obvious they were together when they really weren't.

Jane had wanted her distance, but now that she was thinking about it, had Silvio been more invested in her than she'd thought? She'd felt something for him by the end of it, but the feelings had scared the ever loving hell out of her. She hadn't liked the way her heart had started to pound whenever she was around him. Sometimes it had felt as if there was too much pressure on her, as if she couldn't breathe.

She'd needed time to collect herself before going out with him, and after getting home. Not that things hadn't been good, they had, but she'd started to lose all concentration with her books, she couldn't seem to think about anything other than Silvio whenever she was around him, and it was distracting her from her day job.

She'd been a wreck, and she'd been getting too damned close. People with cameras had started openly taking pictures of her whenever she was with Silvio. It wasn't that Jane had ever seen any of those pictures online or in the local gossip columns. Silvio wasn't that famous, but it had still been enough.

No way in hell did she want any of those hack journalists looking into her past.

So she'd broken things off with him, and apparently, she'd also squashed his heart in the process.

Speaking of her job, she needed to call them. Fuck, would she get in trouble for that? Jordan wouldn't care if she needed the time off, but he wasn't the only manager, and there was someone above him who could decide that three weeks off of work without warning right before holiday hiring would be too much to put up with.