Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

The socializing lasted until well past midnight. Jane once thought she would love to attend a fancy party over food, books, and champagne, but her feet were killing her, and her smiles had become somewhat forced as she took pictures with more and more people as the night went on.

She managed to get many business cards from the editors and agents who had been invited to the event.

Though she was horrified to have nothing to give back to them as she took their cards.

Until Silvio slipped a business card holder into her hand.

"These new ones just arrived. I think they turned out pretty good."

Stunned, Jane opened the card holder and pulled out one of the cards, looking at it hard, barely able to comprehend that it had her name on it, a logo of her initials, a tagline, her website, the covers of her books.

And it looked like a professional had put it together. She couldn't believe what she was looking at.

"May I take one?"

Jane looked up at the editor who had just handed Jane her card.

"Of-of course," she stammered, handing the card over quickly, before she could make a fool of herself again.

She gave a card to everyone who spoke to her, asked for a photo, and signed some more books that had been brought in.

She was almost out of cards by the time Silvio suggested leaving.

"I need to get her back home. She has her deadlines."

Self imposed deadlines, but no one respected those.

Not that anyone here needed to know the exact details of what she did with her writing time or how she made her schedules.

And she was too grateful, and tired, to want to argue the point with Silvio on that one. The staff around the restaurant were also cleaning up anyway. They looked to be ready to take down the decorations, so the other guests didn't seem to mind, though they did make offers for invites to after parties.

"We have a wonderful room set up at the Hilton Hotel. You're more than welcome to join us there, and perhaps, discuss your next book?"

All the tired anxiety that had been building up flew right out the window. Jane opened her mouth to say a big yes to that offer, but Silvio's hand on her shoulders stopped her.

"I really do need to get her home. She and I have much to talk about, but I hope you'll keep your schedule open for next time?"

The woman smiled and nodded at Silvio, as though this was a common occurrence for the both of them.

Jane couldn't believe it. She stood there, a little drunk, and smiled and pointed at Silvio as though asking what could be done, when he took her by the arm and pulled her towards the door.

"What are you doing? She was going to invite me to one of her private parties!"

"Do you even remember her name? Or which house she worked for?"

"Wait, I can find that," Jane said, and she looked through her list of business cards in her clutch purse.

Silvio shook his head. "You don't want to go to a party like that anyway."

"What? Why?"

They stopped just outside the doors to the restaurant, waiting for Derrick to pull up before Silvio rounded on her and looked her right in the eyes. "What do after parties at this time of night usually consist of?"