Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Jane ran as fast as she could all the way back the room she'd been shown to when Derrick brought her here. She was shocked when she made it back and didn't trip and fall over her face once in the shoes she wore, but as she huffed for breath, she locked her door behind her, backing away from it, as if he thought Silvio would break it down and come to get her.

A stalker, that couldn't be right, but at the moment, she was more concerned with what was going to happen now that Silvio knew she'd been spying on him in his own house on the first night she was here.

If it was true...if she did have someone stalking her...

Jane walked quickly over to her bags that she hadn't yet unpacked. She pulled the strap of her laptop bag over her shoulder, but stopped herself before she could grab her purse.

"Stalker."

She had to test that word out on her tongue. It was too surreal. Stalking was something that happened to other people, not to her.

Silvio had made it clear that she wasn't exactly careful with where she kept her information or what she put on public forums online. She remembered that conversation, and feeling embarrassed by it.

The flowers she'd gotten at her door. The poems and notes that had been left for her at the front desk, sometimes shoved in the cracks of her doors.

When she'd seen Silvio's handwriting on the envelope, and read out his offer, she'd thought for sure that it had been him who'd been sending her those things.

Knowing it was a stalker...

A soft knock sounded at her door. Jane spun around.

"Who is it?" she called, though there was only one person it could be.

"It's me," Silvio said.

Jane wet her lips. Could she do it? Could she talk to him? He wasn't trying to get in, but for now, she wanted to keep the door between them.

"Can I talk to you?"

Jane pulled her laptop bag off her shoulder, putting it back onto the love seat. She walked over to the door.

He didn't seem too angry that she'd been spying on him in his house, but that didn't mean she didn't have some questions of her own.

"Was that a lie to scare me? Or do I actually have a stalker?"

Silvio said nothing at first. She tried to imagine what he looked like on the other side of the door. Was he rubbing his mouth and chin like he did whenever something bothered him?

"Yes," he said.

Jane's heart did a strange little jump beneath her ribs.

Yes. He actually said yes.

Jane thought of everything she knew about what a stalker did, who he, or she, could be.

She hadn't been getting any dead animals, and so far nothing that could be considered threatening. Hell, she'd thought she'd had a secret admirer when she'd been getting those flowers and notes. When she'd gotten Silvio's offer, she'd thought it had been him sending those tokens.

What would he say when she told him she'd thought it was him?

"Jane? Can we talk about this without a door in the way?"

Jane bit her lips together. She put her hand on the doorknob, wanting to open it, wanting to let him in.

She wanted to hold him, to have him hold her. She always felt protected when he'd held her, and she wanted that so badly right now that her heart ached for it.