Chapter Fourteen

Derrick was really good and professional about everything when Jane asked her questions and requested the paperwork.

She supposed that was only to be expected. Why would Silvio ever feel the need to hire someone who didn't act professionally, or someone who behaved badly in general?

Sure, Derrick and Silvio were clearly friends, but the man was still an employee.

Jane also had to wonder if Silvio had flat out told him to be extra nice and accommodating to her or something.

No. She pushed that thought out of her head. It made no sense so she wasn't even going to entertain the idea.

Derrick didn't just walk her over to Arturo and Isla's home either. He actually insisted that she get back into one of the limos and be driven there, as if the property was far away.

It wasn't, it was literally the house next door. Sure the driveways were huge, but it was still crazy.

Jane insisted on riding in the passenger seat next to Derrick. She refused to sit in the back for such a short drive by herself. It seemed embarrassing, though Jane supposed it was just as embarrassing when Derrick looked at her as if she was a little on the crazy side of the spectrum.

At least Isla seemed happy to see her, though after their phone call, seeing the other woman face to face was a little harder than Jane would have thought.

She couldn't remember the last time things had been tense between herself and her best friend, and yet while she was in that house, Jane got the distinct impression that Isla was walking around on eggshells around her, as if she worried she might offend Jane again.

It wasn't much fun, and by the time Jane had to get ready for dinner, she made up an excuse so she could get ready by herself instead of having Isla there.

She told Isla something about not wanting to impose on her time, and Jane wanted to get a couple more pages written before she had to go and see Silvio, and it seemed to work.

Maybe Isla had been sensing the mood as much as Jane had been and she'd been grateful to get out of the way of things.

That made Jane a little sad, actually, and when she rode back to Silvio's large home with Derrick, she stayed in the back seat this time.

Jane couldn't exactly get any pages written of her new novel. Not when she was as much of a wreck as she was right now.

Instead of working, she went over as much of the colored photos and reports as she possibly could. There had been a dress laid out for her on her bed when she returned, put there by God only knew who when she'd been away, but Jane was more concerned with what was in the reports instead of what she was going to wear, no matter how amazing that dress looked.

All the photos Derrick managed to take were clear. Even Jane knew that was a sign of a steady hand, but the man in the photo always seemed to be wearing a ball cap and a grey hoodie. Not only that, but the sunglasses were obvious, even with the shot that barely captured the side of is face.

It definitely wasn't any of the guys she'd dated, and not her most recent break up either.

That was one she was pretty grateful for. Danny hadn't exactly been exciting, Silvio was right about that much, but it was a relief to know he wasn't the creepy, stalker sort, either.

This man didn't look remotely familiar to her, and there was nothing Jane could pick out that could distinguish who he was.

She was pretty sure she didn't know him, so he couldn't be one of the regulars at the coffee shop, but that didn't mean she hadn't served him a time or two before.