Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

She'd betrayed him.

It didn't have to make sense for that to be the thing that went through her head. It was there and she couldn't push it away.

He'd asked her to stay home with the rest of his staff, where it would have been safe for her, and yet she'd demanded Derrick bring her here. She'd demanded the ability to come to a place where she was not welcome, and then she'd heard things about Silvio's family that he clearly didn't want her to hear.

"Silvio, I'm really sorry, I was just worried about Isla."

"Yeah, it sounds a whole lot like you were worried about Isla."

Silvio turned his angry glare to Isla now. "Really? You think that just because you're friends means it's okay for you to reveal private moments from my family to Jane?"

Isla had the decency to look ashamed, but Jane still felt her defences rise up.

"She came all this way. She thought something was wrong with me."

"Clearly nothing is."

"And then she was asking about you. I just wanted to put her mind at ease."

"By telling her Orlando almost died in his own puke? Are you fucking kidding me?"

Jane winced at that. "I heard he's all right."

"He will be, after Martina can convince him to get to a hospital. Not that it's any of your business."

Okay. Ouch. Jane physically winced at that, as though Silvio had struck her.

"Look, I'm sorry, I won't do it again, but you just ran off without telling me anything."

"I'm an adult and I am allowed to do that. You're not required to know where I go, for how long I'll be gone, or even if I'll be coming back. That's not remotely how this works."

Jane felt herself getting angry with him, angry for his inability to see her side of it.

"I said I was just worried about you. I wanted to make sure Arturo didn't dump my best friend out of nowhere, and then everyone acted as if someone might be hurt. I thought that might've been you."

Silvio clenched his jaw. "As you can see, I am fine. I was fine when I left you back home, and I'm fine now. Is that good enough for you? Do you want to take my temperature to make sure I'm not pushing a fever?"

Jane glared at the man in front of her. "Fuck you."

He was being a complete asshole and he totally didn't need to be. This was all just some bullshit move to drive her away, and it was starting to work.

Silvio grinned back at her. In that next instant, Jane knew what he wanted to say to her. What he wanted to catch her with.

She'd set herself up for it. The easy comeback would be to tell her that he'd already fucked her. In the limo. He could say that in front of Isla and there was absolutely nothing Jane could do about it.

Instead, Silvio shook his head. "Derrick will take you home. Or get Robert to take you back. Or stay here. I don't have time for this tonight."

Jane blinked. "Wait, when you say take me home..."

The fear that he wanted to send her back to her apartment was real. She didn't want to go back. She didn't want him to send her away because he was angry with her.