Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

He shouldn't have told her. He should have waited. It would have been better to ease her into it.

But how the fuck did a man go about easing someone into the idea they had a stalker? It was bad enough Silvio and Derrick couldn't find the guy yet.

But it was just a matter of time. Derrick was an excellent tracker, Silvio hadn't been lying about that, and he'd hired some extra people to watch the front of Jane's apartment just I case the guy came back.

It was enough to drive him to stat up smoking again.

He'd quit briefly on Martina's insistence. She was a kind woman, had been more motherly to him than his own mother at times, and though she was still on the payroll at Arturo's home, Silvio went to visit her from time to time and never turned down one of her hugs.

She'd smack him upside the head if she caught him lighting up, but he needed it.

Someone was out there and they had their eye on his woman. That was not okay.

He saw Jane walk in from the corner of his eye, but he pretended not to notice right away, not bothering to look away from the paper in his hand.

"Martina will kill you if she finds out you're smoking again," she said, sliding into the chair across from him.

His breakfast table was a small one. He'd liked it that way. Made things more intimate whenever he had guests over.

The only guest he ever wanted sitting across from him was there right now.

"No one is going to tell her." Silvio looked up at Jane, noting the dark circles beneath her eyes, and how her mouse brow hair somehow managed to appear messy even when it was in that pony tail. "How was your sleep?"

"Restless," she admitted, pulling the white styrofome container towards herself and taking a peak inside. Her eyes widened. "You ordered Sunshine City?"

"I had someone pick it up for me. There's another container of pancakes and bacon over on the counter." He pulled his container back towards himself.

Jane reached out and snatched the other end. "I want these ones."

He looked at her, raising a single brow.

She stared back at him.

Silvio got the vibe that she was trying to be playful, but it was coming out wrong because of the stress.

If she wanted to pretend as if what he'd told her last night wasn't bothering her, then so be it. He'd go along with it. "Suit yourself," he said, folding his paper and getting up. "Just to let you know, this one has more bacon in it."

He noted the way Jane froze up when he mentioned her weakness for bacon, but then he smiled as he watched her lower her eyes back to what was already in front of her.

She shrugged. "That's fine. I'm on a diet anyway."

"Just make sure you don't lose your hips or your ass and we'll still be friends."

She actually smiled wryly up at him, and this time he could tell it was something of a real smile, even if it wasn't all that enthusiastic.

Either way, she was too damned stubborn. She would eat his box of half finished bacon and pancakes now that she'd demanded it instead of asking for the box that was supposed to be hers.

Silvio was normally good at reading people. He had to be in oder to close some of the deals he did, but with Jane it was different. She tripped him up.