Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

She'd spent the better half of the rest of the day contemplating telling Derrick what happened since he was sort of her unofficial bodyguard whenever Silvio wasn't around, but she'd kept it to herself, thinking that maybe it would be for the best if Silvio was in the room when she made her revelation.

By the time he came home, it didn't seem so urgent.

Not so urgent, but as she went to him, kissing him on the mouth in welcome, she was still torn on whether or not to reveal what had happened.

Silvio wasn't ignorant of it either. Even with his hands on Jane's hips, and her arms around his neck, his smile faded.

"Are you okay?"

Jane nodded. "Yeah, I just..." She pressed her lips together. If she were in a book, she'd start yelling because she was acting stupid.

Jane didn't want to be too stupid to live.

"How well do you know your neighbours?"

Silvio seemed to think on that. Derrick closed the front door behind them, and it was clear he was listening, too.

"They mostly keep to themselves. They're an older couple. When I bought out this place from the previous owners, I know they weren't too happy. Why?"

Hearing that an elderly couple lived in the neighbouring house brought all kinds of relief to Jane. The man's story checked out.

"I just met someone by the fence. He said he was the owner's brother."

Silvio's eyes suddenly hardened. "You didn't speak to him, did you?"

"Well, yeah, I did, but he said he was the owner's brother."

Silvio only had to take one look at Derrick before the man nodded. "I'm on it."

Derrick walked off. Jane looked back at Silvio. "What was that about?"

"He's going to find out who you were speaking to." Silvio glanced down at Sugar, who was laying down by the stairs. "Did she react?"

"Well, no."

"No?"

"I bought her to the fence and introduced her. I didn't want him to be scared of her. He said he had grandkids coming over."

Silvio didn't look happy no matter what Jane said.

Slowly, she was starting to not blame him, the gravity of the situation hitting her harder and harder.

Things might have checked out, sort of, by the end of her talk, but she was still playing with fire.

"I shouldn't have to tell you not to speak to strangers."

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to be rude."

Silvio's shoulders slumped. "Do you have any idea how many people, how many women just like you, get taken advantage of, hurt, or even killed, because they ignored their instincts?"

Silvio glared at Sugar.

Jane stepped in the way of that glare. "It's not her fault. I was the one who brought her over, and things might still be fine."

"What we know about the person watching you is that it is an adult male, someone who knows what you look like, who knew where you lived and where you worked. If you were talking with a couple of elderly ladies, it would be entirely different. Did this guy do anything else."