Secrets about Dr. Thaylus

Bear's POV

I played with my claws, waiting until Reese would pound the door down and unlock me from my cage. However nothing happened.

"You seem to have a lot of faith in your owners," rumbled Baghera as she began to groom her fur with rough strokes of her tongue.

"Don't you," I snapped at her before I realized who her owner was. I knew that Dr. Thaylus didn't care what condition Baghera was in.

She shook her head as her fur bristled. "Of course not. It would be a miracle if I was captured by anyone beside Dr. Thaylus."

"How about if you help me escape and I'll show you a nice place for you to live, far away from Dr. Thaylus," I offered as I laid down and began to groom the anxiety from my fur to try and calm myself.

Baghera thought for a antagonizing heartbeat. "Perhaps," she purred smoothly as she opened her pale yellow eyes.

"So do you know why Dr. Thaylus does this," I asked as I flicked my tail to and fro.

She shrugged and extended her dangerously large claws. "I'm not completely sure. He was a great vet before. However he had a Golden Retriever named er Challenger." She stretched out a bit as she recalled the story. "One day they both went out for a walk down the back allies of New York. A man came out and shot Challenger and killed him. Ever since that day he has turned to killing animals instead of saving them. He saw your owner spying on him and he thought that the police or the animal rights activist had caught up with him. He found out who they were and now he wants to either kill them or get enough drugs so that he can poison a main dog food company. He just wants to cause pain to others. It keeps his sick mind enjoyed."

"That's quite a story but that doesn't change what he does," I pointed out as I looked over to Baghera through the bars of our cages.

She lashed her tail and it flicked against the door. "True but I think that's why he is the way that he is. But we have to do something soon or he will kill other dogs."

I nodded in agreement. "We can't have that happen," I pointed out as I worked my claws against the ground. The cement made my claws hurt so I drew back a bit and allowed my breath to try and ease my stress. "We have to do something!"

"Do you have any ideas," wondered Baghera as she looked over to me with piercing eyes. "I mean even if we do manage to escape a black panther and a dog walking down New York's streets won't look great."

I shrugged. "Well you have a point but I know some backroads," I muttered as I thought of the way I used to hunt when I wasn't owned by anyone.

Baghera thought for a heartbeat before she forced herself to her claws. She padded forward and stretched her paw toward the door. Her claws stretched toward the lock. "This may take a while."