Riding with Mr. Reese

Bear's POV

Carter threw Dr. Thaylus in the back seat of her car. He groaned and he slumped back, blood oozing from the back of his neck.

I wasted no time urging Baghera to bid him farewell.

"My pleasure," she assured as she took a bold step forward. She arched her back and hissed full of rage. "That's for my mate and daughter! You're the reason she's dead, you pathetic wolf-heart!" She turned and flicked her tail toward me. "I think your master is summoning us."

I nodded as I saw Reese whistling. I hopped forward on three legs with Baghera striding after me. We halted in front of him and I dipped my head.

He stretched out a hand and petted me. "Let's get you looked at. Finch has already hired the best vet in New York and it's not far from here. Since it's late no one should be there." He turned to Baghera. "My friend also wants to see you."

Baghera seemed shock but I nodded to let her know it was alright. She dipped her head to Reese and Reese motioned to a car.

Baghera bounded forward and leaped into the backseat. I whimpered as I struggled to leap up. Reese had to help me because of my shoulder and I felt very embarrassed. However when he finally managed to push me up Baghera purred and curled around me, grooming my fur.

"Thanks for everything Baghera," I breathed in her ear as I touched my nose to hers. I took in her strong feline scent and realized how comforting it was. She had been an excellent friend to me.

Baghera flicked her tail as Reese started the car. "Don't mention it Bear," she purred warmly as she rested her head on her paws. "You allowed me to seek justice for my mate and kit. That is the best payment ever."

I blinked my eyes and let out a breath of contentment. "Another dangerous man off the streets," I pointed out.

She smiled. "That is rewarding, isn't it? So this is what your Reese and Finch do everyday, save lives?"

"That we do," I murmur asI felt myself drifting into a painful sleep but it was still sleep which I hadn't experienced in a while.

"Do you think maybe I could lend a paw on a few missions," she offered hopefully as she stretched out a paw and I saw her flex her claws.

"I think that would be very much appreciated," I assured her as I yawned and flicked my tail as I finally drifted off into sleep.