Escaping with Baghera

Bear's POV

"Are you almost done," I asked impatiently as I raked my claws against the ground, waiting my pads begin to bleed. I licked the blood away and lowered my head into my shoulders.

Baghera turned on me and hissed. "Let me be! These things take time." She gingerly worked her oversized claws in the lock. A few heartbeats later I heard the lock unlock.

My ears perked up. "You did it Baghera! Great job," I praised with bright eyes.

Baghera dipped her head before she pushed her head against the cage. It swung open and she bounded out. She stalked toward my cage and unsheathed her claws. She inclined her paw forward and wedged her claws into the lock. It took a while but it eventually unlocked. She opened it for me and I stalked out.

"Thank you," I breathed as I shook my fur.

"Now what's the next stage in your wonderful plan," wondered Baghera as she looked around madly.

"We need to escape this underground hell," I replied as I sniffed the air. "I know that we're underground but that's all I know."

"Perhaps if we er look around we can find the door which Dr. Thaylus escaped with my owner," I suggested as I stalked forward with my tail lashing. I lowered down and sniffed the air, trying to find the freshness of the surface. I had no such luck so I turned my attention to Baghera, studying her.

She stalked around, different from I did. She lowered down a lot more and her shoulders rippled. She scented the air with her mouth, instead of her nose like I did. She was a lot leaner and more powerful than I was. Her claws were longer and her teeth sharper. I was glad that she was on my side.

"Here," she finally hissed as her tail lashed. "I believe the entrance and exit is this way."

I nodded and followed her as she snaked down a very dark hallway. At least both of us had night vision to help us guide ourselves.

Baghera suddenly halted and her ears flicked. "Do you hear that," she asked in a low whisper.

I lowered to the ground and pressed my underbelly against the ground. I heard squeaking and clawing against the ground. "What's that," I asked with a bit of alarm in my voice. I hadn't heard this noise in a long time and memories came rushing through me.

Baghera's eyes darkened. "Rats."