23|| The Feels

a l e x

It was a sunny Sunday morning, and it was the perfect day for our Christmas decorations to finally be up.

At only a mere two weeks before Christmas, I had to put the decor up. 

Every year since I turned thirteen, it had been my job to decorate our house, different themes and color schemes each year. That was three years.

I had a list of things I had to prepare, like I always did, making sure that they fit in the red, gold and silver colors my family picked out for the year.

My mom used to always do it when I was a kid, and I just watched whatever she was doing.

Tree ornaments, check. Stockings, check. Throw pillows, check. Advent wreath, check. Figurines, check.

I had everything ready and all I had to do was put them up then I'd be done.

But like they said, it's always easier said than done. The house wasn't as small as it used to be. I obviously needed help if I wanted to finish before the day ended.

I called Lexi from our room, Ryder from his, and Paige from hers.

"We need more manpower so it would be easier to move things around." 

Jackson was out doing things and Jonathan had a day off.

"You know, you can just call Luke. That guy would do almost anything for you," my brother reminded me.

"I'm not so sure about that. You see, he has things to do too." 

Lexi looked at me and gave me a look as if to say just do it, and I sighed, "But I guess I'll give it a go."

I took my phone out and gave my boyfriend a call, hanging up once I got an answer. 

"Let's get started! He's coming in around five minutes to help. Ryder, bring the tree to beside the couch. Lexi, help Ry, and Paige, you help me."

"I told you, he'd probably jump in front of a bullet for you," Ryder smirked before encouraging us as he dragged Lexi to the Christmas tree. "Let's get this done."

"They're starting so we should too. What do you want me to do for you?" Paige grinned. 

It was her first year helping fix the house up and to say she was excited would be a clear understatement.

"Well, it seems like you're very eager. We'll start with the garland and other decor on the stairs. Those crazies will help us when they're done later. The tree will just go last," I laughed, picking up the garland on the table.

Paige got another garland and helped me decorate the railings of the staircase with them. We reached the top, continuing to put Christmas tree ornaments on them to make them a little less plain and boring.

Luke came to help not more than three minutes later, but as I observed if there were any open spaces at all, something caught my eye.

"Caitlin Paige Evans! You came here now and explain to me why there is a bow here."

She was the only one who had bows in the whole household, and I was pretty sure Luke didn't have any, so she was clearly guilty.

She laughed nervously and made up a lame excuse, "It slipped out of my hand?"

Even a two year-old could make up a better excuse. Honestly, I couldn't really blame her. It's not like I could do any better.

"You know she won't believe you, right? You can see it in her face," Luke piped up, chuckling as he put a reindeer on the living room coffee table, "She may not be good at lying, but she can spot lies well. And yours wasn't a good one."