24|| Hope

A/N:

This one's for all you silent readers out there. This is a sign for you to stop being one and vote, comment and share! 

-P

~~~~~

l e x i

Jackson's birthday. December 20th. Yup, that's right, only a mere five days before Christmas. He was officially 25, and Alex thought it would be a good idea to throw him a surprise party.

She only had the guts to ask one teacher to come, and luckily, it was the one Jackson was closest to. And she just so happened to have the same birthday as he did.

She was still coming though, because she told us her family never celebrated her birthday. Only her younger sister's. Her younger sister who was thirteen years younger than her.

She said it didn't really matter much that her family didn't celebrate her birthday because she didn't live with them anymore.

You see, our Chemistry teacher, Julia Smith, was adopted when she was fourteen after she and her family got into a car crash. She only remembered a few things, just a name, a date, and her own first name.

She never looked for her family, she said, because the authorities insisted that her family died in the accident when she went to the station.

Her family was all passed out after the accident, and she was the only one who was still conscious.

Reminded me of something that happened to me when I was younger.

But that's beyond the point.

We found out all about that when Alex asked her to come to the party after one of our classes, and we asked about her birthday. Bad move on our part because damn, she had one rough past.

She told us that her so-called family treated her like garbage and kicked her out of their house once she was legal to live on her own, which, in her own words, was the time she actually felt free since getting into their hellhole of a house. 

Her words, not mine.

But no joke, it did seem like a hellhole, considering the fact that she was basically living the life of Cinderella, working her butt off at home only to get abused right after. Harsh. It was like she was adopted to be an abused, unpaid maid in her own home.

We were decorating, for the second time of the month, in the backyard this time, while Ryder made sure to keep Jackson away and out of the house.

He was chilling with Jackson at some cafe about twenty minutes away while I was being ordered around, running, by a screaming Alex. Well, me and Paige.

Oh, and Alex's poor boyfriend.

"Lex! Can you get the extra table from the study? It's right beside my desk!" 

She may have seemed angry, but she had a calm voice as she ordered from the other side of the backyard. That was the only reason for her screaming.

Alex liked to say she didn't like to do things she deemed completely unnecessary to do. For example, screaming when she wasn't mad. Or when you weren't far away from her.

Yeah, she wasn't very fond of screaming. Come to think of it, she there were a lot of things she didn't like. Picky girl. I didn't blame her though. She was raised to stand her ground and not take shit from anyone.

"Sure! I'll go get it now!" I responded, running into the house because we had to prepare fast so Jackson wouldn't be suspicious of the fact that his brother suddenly wanted to hang out with him on the day of his birth.