"Checked In"

Character: James Patrick March

You lie awake in bed, thinking about your old life. You didn't even know what day it was, ever since you 'checked in' to the hotel cortez, it has been a blur.

I know what you're thinking, you probably checked in and got killed by one of the many lost souls of the hotel and became one yourself. Well... Not exactly. You killed yourself.

Your life was never easy, you grew up with so much hate and loneliness. Your mom died when you were very young, your father became a drunk and abused you verbally and physically at times. You got bullied in school, didn't make any friends since you kept yourself excluded and away from everything.

It became too much, so you gathered up all the cash that you saved up over the years and left on a bus. You ended up in L.A, and tried to have fun. But you couldn't fill that hole in your chest. Nothing could, you thought at the time.

So you checked into the cheapest hotel you could find and... Well you can probably guess the rest. But what you didn't know... Was that when you die in the hotel cortez, you stay in the hotel cortez.

You woke up after god knows how long, to see a tall dark figure in a chair beside your bed. Your vision focused and you saw a handsome, black haired, brown-almost black-eyed, pencil mustached, man with a suit styled the same as a 1920s man would wear.

"Who are you?" You croaked out, clearing your throat after to fix it. You knew you should have been scared or at least alarmed that there was a mysterious man sitting in a chair watching you sleep... But for whatever reason you weren't.

"James Patrick March." He replied in a 1920s accent as well, is this some kind of cosplay? You ask yourself.

"Where am I?" You ask sitting up, your head was throbbing.

"The hotel cortez." That's when you remembered what happened, your eyes widened.

"But... I thought I-"

"Killed yourelf." He finished, your head snapped towards him. "You indeed are dead."

"Wh... What? Then how am I-? What?" You were confused as hell. If you were dead, then how were you there now?

"I'm the builder of this hotel, I died here in the 1920s. My soul has been roaming here ever since." He explained, standing up walking closer.

"You're crazy." You breath, ghost weren't real, only in movies... Right?

"I may be crazy my dear, but I am telling you the truth." He replied in a tone you couldn't quite figure out what it was. "So tell me... Why did you kill yourself?"

"I hated my life, I was alone, sad... Afraid. I had no one, no one who really cared at least." You blurted out, your eyes widened. Why were you telling him this?

"I killed myself as well," He started, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "The police were comimg for me, I'd rather die than rot in prison."

"What did you do?" You whispered, a little scared of the answer.

"I have a... Certain hobby." He went on.

"What, do you kill people for fun?" You joked chuckling, but looked up to see him dead serious. "You kill people for fun..."

"I wouldn't say... Fun. More so, pleasure." Yup, he's a complete and utter psycho.

"Then what do you want from me, if you're telling the truth... I'm dead." You asked.

"I don't quite know..." He admitted. You were expecting him to stay but he got up, and walked out the door, not saying another word.

After that night, James showed up many times. You made friends with Liz, Tristan, Iris, and even Sally. You hated the countess. For the first time in forever, you kinda felt safe. Which was surprising, since you were literally living in a murder palace.

You helped Liz and Iris with their daily chores around the hotel. Every now and again, you could feel James watching you.

It took a while but you became comfortable with the 'guests going missing'. You would never actually kill somone of course, but it just kinda became normal, I mean it would be weird being suck in a place for eternity that literally breaths death, without becoming okay with it. That would be torture.

So here you were lying awake in bed, thinking of your old life. And as crazy it may seem, how much it is better now. You finally had a place to call home, to feel safe, and have a family.

There was just one thing missing, you didn't know what, but you felt it had to do with James...

Just then there was a knock at the door.

"It's open." You say, thinking it's Liz or Sally. The door creaks open to reveal James standing in the doorway. You immediately sit up. "

"May I come in?" He asks with the accent you've grown to love.

"Sure." You reply, why was he here? He walked over to the end of the bed, sitting down.

"Lately I have been watching you..." He started.

"You know average girls would find that creepy." You chuckle trying to clear the awkward air.

"But you are not an 'avergae girl'". He explains, saying "average girl" as if it were a different language. "When I am around you, ever since that first night. It brings me pleasure, that not even my killings can bring me." Your breath hitched, what was he saying.

"What do you mean?" You ask.

"I have grown fond of you Mrs. Y/L/N." He replies, you learned from people in this hotel that James was not the type of person to express feelings, he thinks it shows weakness and he absolutely dreads weakness.

"Don't you have a wife?" You chuckle nervously, that was another thing you learned the past months of living here.

"Elizabeth does not matter anymore my dear Y/N... You do." He answered, hesitantly saying the last part.

"Well then... I've grown fond of you as well Mr.March." You reply with a slight smirk that was soon mirrored on James' face as well.

That was just a little something I thought of while trying to fall asleep 😂😂 School started up again today and I'm trying to finish a couple part Todd from Kick-Ass imagine, I will try my best to finish that up soon, as long as another chapter to my Tate fic. Hope you enjoyed, and leave requests/tips below!!
-Kayla