XVIII: Return

(Cassidy's POV)

  Go to work, come home, live my life. Everything's just been one big cycle lately. I wish I could get a little change, but what is there really for me to do? Now that Lydia isn't throwing parties every other day, I don't really have that second party animal life I used to. It's sad when I think about it, because I really miss it. That was one of the few things we all had to bring everyone together.

  But wait! What if I come up with something else for us all to do? Just then, I have an idea. I grab my phone and call Lydia. It rings twice before she answers. "Hey, Lydia!" I answer.

  "Hey, Cass. What's up?" She says.

  "Well, since we don't have the parties much anymore, how about we go to the beach? I know it's fall, but  it's supposed to get to like 87° Friday. I think we should take advantage of this one warm day. What do you think?"

  "I'm down! So like a beach picnic get together?"

  "Exactly like that! So let's start telling people, and then we can discuss what everyone can bring."

  "Ok, bye!"

  "Bye!"

  As I'm hanging up my phone, I hear the backdoor creak open. I turn around to find Chucky coming inside, slowly, like this is some kind of robbery. I get up, slightly angry, and walk over to him. "Where the hell have you been?" I ask.

  "Sorry, Princess. I've been handling a lot of business lately," he says, reaching out for a hug. I move away.

  "Nuh uh, you can't just disappear for a whole day without contacting me and come back and expect everything to be ok." I cross my arms. "I was worried about you. I thought something happened."

  "Look, I said I was sorry, I really am. I just needed to do some things alone. I didn't want you getting caught up in it. Just wanted you to be safe." He holds his arms out again. I hesitate first, then I hug him slightly.

  "Don't do that anymore. At least if you're gonna disappear for a whole day, tell me. I know you have a lot of shit going on. I'll understand. But if you don't talk to me, how am I supposed to be understanding?"

  "You're right. I definitely should have contacted you. I'll make it up to you." He kisses my forehead.

  "How are you gonna do that?"

  "Don't think about it too much. It'll be good, promise." Chucky walks past me, smiling. I hear Danny's old phone vibrate, and Chucky immediately snatches It out of his pocket. Expecting a text?

(Chucky's POV)

  I quickly grab my phone the moment I feel it vibrate and check to see who it is.

"Had fun yesterday. Just like old times, right? Maybe you'll come see me more often. Forget about the girl. You only need me 💚"

  Tiffany. I look up to find Cassidy, hard core staring at me. I start to wonder if I snatched my phone out of my pocket too quick and  suspiciously. Aren't you going to say something?

  "Important message?" She finally asks, looking back at the phone. What lie can I think of?

  "Actually, yes. I went to the mall today and I met this guy who said he may be able to get me a job there. We exchanged numbers, and he told me he'd text me if he found anything." Cool.

  "Oh, that's really nice! If you get a job, not only will you have money, but you'll be able to look more like a normal person, which is of course, good. Hope you find one, Chucky." She moves across the kitchen. "So, how do you feel about the beach?"

  "The beach? What about it?"

  "We were making plans to have a beach picnic on Friday. Wanna come with us?"

  "Oh I-... I'll see. If I don't have the job, then yes."

  "Great!" She dances out the room, happily,  and once I see that she's gone, I text Tiffany back.

"I'd tell you that I already miss you, but I'm sure you already knew that. I just got back. Don't worry, I'll be over tonight when she's asleep."  

I hit send and put the phone back in my pocket, then I look in the refrigerator. An uncooked piece of meat, bleeding inside of its package, reminds me of how long it's been since I've last killed someone. I feel like a drug addict who hasn't taken a fucking hit in a week. I feel awful.  Maybe Tiff was right about me.

  A few years ago, when we found our son... or daughter, whatever, she told me I had a "problem" with killing. Hell, maybe she was right. But I don't care, because this is my life. This is who I am, and it's not going to change.

  I shut the refrigerator door, holding everything I need to make a sandwich. Once I'm done, I put it all back and lay on the couch, watching TV. Sooner than expected, I start to get very sleepy, and I start to fall asleep.

  I was asleep for about 5 minutes when I heard Cassidy coming back downstairs. I pretend to be sleeping still, but she doesn't even come towards me. She goes into the kitchen, grabs a whole pack of cookies, and disappears back up the stairs. I sigh, rolling over on my other side, and falling back asleep.

🔪

  At 1am, I wake back up and go upstairs with Cassidy. I take everything off except for my boxers. I've never been sleepier in my life. I get in bed with Cassidy and spoon her.

(Cassidy's POV)

  I wasn't actually sleepy, but I sparked awake when I felt Chucky snuggling against me. He was so warm. Having him here right now makes me think of that doctor again. I'm not going to say anything, though. She's probably an old girlfriend or something. Exes are exes for a reason. I don't think I have too much to worry about.

  "Babe," I say, wondering if he hasn't fallen asleep yet.

  "Yeah?" He replies.

  "We haven't done anything together in a while. I was thinking maybe, tomorrow, we could go see a movie or something. Is that ok?"

  "Of course, anything for you, Princess."

  "Ok. We can talk more about it in the morning." I close my eyes in hopes of falling asleep. If all goes as planned, the rest of this week is gonna be so much fun.