26| The Formal

Getting out of the car I walked up the porch steps to the front door of the McCall house

Getting out of the car I walked up the porch steps to the front door of the McCall house. I knocked at the door waiting for someone to open as I thought about how terrible this night was probably going to be. I had no doubt in my mind that Peter was going to act tonight, and we were completely blind to what he could possibly be planning.

After my encounter with Peter the other day I couldn't shake the feeling that things were going exactly how he wanted them to. My uncle didn't seem at all concerned.

"Hi, Ms. McCall." I greeted as soon as she opened the doo, a bright smile on the woman's face. 

"Alexis hey! You look amazing." She replied a lot more excited about this dance than I could ever be. "Are you going...what's the word Scott used...stag...stag too?"

I nodded slowly feeling uncomfortable. Not only did I not know her well, but it was the feeling that I was lying to her that didn't sit well with me. She had no idea what was really going on, Melissa was entirely oblivious to what was happening to her son. That maybe after tonight she would possibly not see him again. Maybe even Scott wasn't aware of the fact.  "Yeah, Scott and I are going as friends."

"Well that's great." She replied with one last smile before looking behind her. "Scott! Hurry up!" She yelled before turning back to me with a smile on her face. "He'll be down soon."

I didn't have to wait long before Scott hurriedly made his way down the stairs before stopping front of his mom who quickly fixed his tie. "Come on lets go." Scott told me as he tried to walk out the door only to be stopped by his mom.

"Stop right there. I need to get some pictures."

"No!" Scott and I exclaimed in unison, both horrified of the idea of having our photos taken. This wasn't a moment that we wanted photographed, and if my suspicions were true it wouldn't be a night that we would want to remember. 

"No?" Ms. McCall repeated in surprise, yet the look in her eyes told us that she wasn't going to take no for an answer. "Wait right here you two. I need to get my camera." 

Scott and I watched as his mother ran into the other room, and we waited in silence at the front steps not sure exactly what it either of us should do. It was awkward and a situation that was knew for the two of us.  But mostly it was the nerves of everything going on around us that caused us to feel uncomfortable in our own skin. "You look nice."