24| Growing Problems

I silence seemed to settle in the animal clinic, the only real sounding coming from Scott who was still struggling to even out his breathing

I silence seemed to settle in the animal clinic, the only real sounding coming from Scott who was still struggling to even out his breathing. Deaton studied me for a moment, almost like I was an old friend that he thought he would never see again. And though the man looked young there also seemed to be so much wisdom reflected in his eyes. 

"What do you want to know?" Deaton finally asked me as he removed his gloves and I was actually surprised that he seemed willing to give some answers that I was at a loss of words. All the questions that I had left my mind entirely. 

"Well..." I began to say not really sure of where I wanted to start or if I really wanted to know as much as I believed myself to. The truth was had to learn, and there was no knowing just how much this man knew about us. "How do you know about us?"

Deaton looked up at me clearly amused as he chuckled. "I'm letting you ask you me anything you want and that's what you come up with?"

"Well there's so much I want to ask...I just thought that it would be easier to start with the simple questions." I defended a hint of anger lacing its way though my voice. "But that's not the point!"

"Yes, but you don't have to worry about anything." He assured me, but that only created more questions in my head. Questions that he didn't seemed ready or willing to answer just yet.

"What does that..." I stopped as a dog's whining cries of pain distracted me. It was odd being able to feel that the animal was in pain. That was always one of the abilities that I disliked the most. Being able to to feel whenever someone or something was in physical or emotional pain. 

The dog was laying down in the cage with a cast around it's paw as it looked up at us with wide eyes. It was like it knew that Deaton could help it.

Deaton look at me carefully before smiling. "Come here let me show you something." Looking at him hesitantly I joined him as we both bent down in front of the dog's cage. "After everything you've been through, you've probably been taught to use your abilities to protect yourself," Deaton began as he extended his hand towards me. "trust me."

I looked down at the man's hand with uncertainty, yet I the fact that Scott trusted him was what made me place my hand on top of his. He guided my hand and placed it on the dog allowing me to feel its soft fur. "I don't understand...what do you want me to do?"