Chapter One: First Impressions

"Kaylee, stop fidgeting. You look fine."

My best friend, Lily, gives me a disapproving look with her brown eyes as I continue gazing at my own reflection in her passenger car's mirror, making sure my light brown hair and make-up looked alright. I had decided to wear black mascara today, hoping it made my extremely dark blue eyes appear slightly brighter.

"Kays," She presses again, using my nickname this time.

Sighing, I close the mirror and it snaps shut as it flops back onto the car's ceiling. I lean back into the cars cushioned seat and fold my arms as I give her a sideways glance,

"I just want to look decent for our first day," I mumbled, pouting.

Lily rolled her eyes as she chuckled, "It's not that big of a deal."

"I know you don't think so, but come on, Lil! It's senior year. I want to make a good first impression."

Lily wiggled her eyebrows, "Or a second one. With Austin," a grin spreads across her face, and she overdramatically sighed and placed a hand over her heart, "Or should I say, your secret undying lover?"

"Lily!" I practically shouted, sitting up straight, "He's not my lover," I huffed.

Lily laughed at my reaction, "Right, but you wish he was."

For pretty much all of high school, I've had a little— okay, huge crush on Austin Hayes. But who could blame me? He had gorgeous, honey hazel eyes and dirty blonde hair, and not to mention he had a body of a baseball player. He'd been on the team since freshmen year.

"Earth to Kaylee!"

I snapped out of my thoughts to find Lily leaning over her seat and onto mine, as she frantically waved a hand in front of my face.

"Daydreaming about your lover already, are you?"

I vigorously shook my head, "W-was not!" I stammered, lying.

Lily chuckled as she unbuckled her seat belt and opened her side door to step out, "Yeah, okay, Kaylee Hayes."

My eyes widening, I quickly hopped out from the passenger side to check and see if anyone was listening. Luckily, everyone was loudly chatting in the school's parking lot as they made their way up to the building, oblivious to Lily and myself and occupied by their own excitement of reconnecting with their friends.

I let out a breath in relief and shot Lily a glare, "You can't say stuff like that! People will hear you..."

Lily waved me off, "Stop stressing out so much! Come on." She laced her arm with mine as we started walking towards the entrance of Hayward High, its big, blue and gold letters shining in the morning sunrise.

"So, how's Logan doing?" Lily asked.

Today was my little brother, Logan's, first day of high school. He seemed pretty nervous this morning with his lack of apatite, which never happens. I guessed it was because he was newly placed on the school's football team.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I think he's going to be fine."

"I hope the seniors treat him alright," Lily looked over at me with concern.

I nodded, remembering how the senior varsity football players treated the freshmen last year. They ordered them around and made them do the most embarrassing stuff. Once, one of the freshmen players had to go running around the halls in just his underwear and a mask. I could still remember the pure terror in his eyes as three big, burly janitors chased him down the halls with brooms as their pitchforks. I shuddered at the memory.