Chapter Eleven: Breaking Down Walls

Before I could chew his head off, Chase was shoving a drink into my hands. How had he gotten this so fast?

"Drink. Relax. Have fun."

He was yelling into my ear. I looked down at the cup in my hand and shook my head. Alcohol? Was he trying to get me drunk? I suddenly felt myself growing in anger and glared at him furiously. What was he playing at? Did I look stupid? I'd never drank alcohol, and I wasn't about to start tonight!

I shoved the drink back into his hand and tried to remove mine from his other. He clung to it tightly, refusing to let go. Why wouldn't he just let go?

My heart started beating faster.

Chase seemingly aware of my panic, he leaned back down and shouted into my ear again. I was surprised I could hear him over the music,

"It's just water!"

I jerked away from his face so I could gaze into his eyes and decide if he looked like he was lying. He grinned at me, an eyebrow raised, waiting for me to believe him.

Was it really just water?

He gestured for me to drink it and, hesitantly, I took the tiniest sip. I visibly relaxed once I realized it was indeed water, but then quickly stiffened again.

Couldn't he still put something in water?

I shook my head and handed it back to him, and although I couldn't hear it, I watched as he started laughing. Taking the drink, he walked to a nearby trashcan and threw it away.

"You really don't trust me, do you?" He asked, yelling into my ear again.

I looked down, the sensation of his firm grip on my hand still attaining my attention, and bit my lip. He spoke up again, "One day, I'll prove to you that you can trust me."

What did he mean by that?

Before I could ask, The D.J. stopped the music and the crowd erupted into cries of protest. I rolled my eyes at them. He continued to drone on about some other performances of his and what not, but I zoned out and turned to Chase. I opened my mouth to speak when a group of guys suddenly surrounded us and started high-fiving Chase and slapping him on the back in manly hugs.

Immediately, I started recognizing many of the guys from the school's football team. I shrunk slightly next to Chase, who I noticed was still gripping onto my hand. For once, I was actually thankful for his hold on me.

Of course, I wouldn't feel like I needed him if I was safely at home, curled in my warm comfy bed with my book.

One of his friends noticed me and introduced himself as Sam. It was somewhat hard to see him with the flashing and swirling lights, but I could tell he had a boyish charm about himself. His shaggy dirty blonde hair hung slightly over his bright blue eyes. He was extremely tall, even taller than Chase, surprisingly. I noted that I remember seeing him in the halls at school. I mean, who wouldn't notice him? He towered over everyone.

I disappeared into Sam's long arms as he engulfed me into a tight embrace, and with the D.J. still talking and the music off, I was able to easily hear him.

"Chase!" He shouted, still clinging to me, "This cutie your date for the night?" He pulled away, but kept his hands firmly planted on my shoulders, and began looking me up and down. I felt my face growing in heat. "I'm jealous." He paused for a moment, pursing his lips, and then leaned into my ear and whispered, "But if you ever want to make Chase jealous..."

As if Chase knew what Sam was saying, he immediately yanked me out of Sam's grasp and protectively put an arm around me, pulling me close to his firm chest. If my face wasn't red before, it was a tomato now.