Chapter Twenty-Six: Complicated, Annoying, Confusing

I struggled for breath. He was so close. What was he doing? Why was he so insistent on my assurance before he answered my simple question?

I gulped, suddenly afraid for his response. I fought back and forth in my head on what to say; never mind? Just kidding?

But now that he looked so serious, not shying away from my own gaze, his piercing green eyes burning into mine with an intense ferociousness... I couldn't help but wonder.

Damn my stupid curiosity.

"...Yes." My voice was so soft, I wondered if he even heard me.

Promptly, Chase leaned in so his chest was touching mine— and I had the nagging thought that he might kiss me. I could feel him breathing and his racing, fast heartbeat. Did that mean he was nervous?

What did I want from him? Did I really want him to kiss me?

Flash backs of us together during the time I've known him swarmed my mind; when he first blackmailed me, brought me to that awful party- all of his comments towards me that were self-centered, arrogant, and just plain rude, for crying out loud!

So why didn't I push him away?

I couldn't. And I didn't really want to, either.

Gosh, what was wrong with me? This was Chase Chandler. The blackmailing, villainous jerk who, for a while there, forced me into jumping to his every beck-and-call. I definitely didn't want him to kiss me. I mean, how could I?

But then there were all the small moments where Chase showed a completely different side of himself. Ones that were soft, and kind, and actually... kind of sweet. Was it really that wrong if I let him kiss me?

He let out a long exhale, and I noticed his biceps tensing as his hands turned to fists, still planted on both sides next to my shoulders.

"Because... " He finally began, still managing to keep his voice a deep, husky whisper.

Our lips were so close, and my hands were starting to grow slick with sweat as I anticipated his next few words.

"When I first met you..."

Ugh. Why was he trailing off? Just answer the freaking question already, damn it!

He inched just a bit more, and it was so close I couldn't even look at him anymore. So instead, I was forced to look down where his lips were in full view. If I moved my face at all, even in the slightest, our lips... they... they would...

My cheeks where burning. No, not just my cheeks. My whole face was on fire. My whole body tingled. What was Chase doing? What was he going to say? Why wouldn't he just spit it out?

Feeling fed up, I decided to carefully say again, one last time,

"Yes?"

Holy crap. Was that my voice? Strangled and soft spoken and small? That must have been someone else, some other girl that Chase could manipulate and effect by his mere presence. That couldn't have been me.

But it was, wasn't it?

I stiffened as Chase very, very slowly moved his lips to my ear, pressing his chest even further onto mine. As he whispered his hot breath touched my neck and made me slightly shudder.

"Your lips..." He paused.

Seriously? This was excruciating, and I knew he was dragging this out on purpose!

"They look so sweet, so... delicious," He finally admitted, "I can only assume they taste like sugar."

I took in a shaky, uneven breath, and Chase moved back so his face was only inches from mine, leaning his head against my forehead and forcing our noses to practically touch. I found myself being drawn to him as well, wishing for the gap between our lips to be gone and despite myself, didn't realize it as I inched closer...