Chapter Twenty-Four: Incredible

Before I knew it, I was pulling up to Chase's small, familiar house, with the stained yellow walls and chipping paint.

I turned the key, shutting off the ignition, and found that I could hear my pounding heart growing more rapid by the second.

My hands were slippery with sweat, and in a failed attempt to dry them, I wiped my palms against my pants.

I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath.

I can do this I can do this I can do this

Slowly, I stepped out of my old feeble car, shutting the door behind me lightly so I didn't make too much of a sound. I then sat there, staring at the house, listening for any noise.

It was silent.

Was Chase and his father even here? What was I doing? What if Chase somehow already left?

Taking in another deep breath and filling my lungs with as much air as possible and then holding it; I moved passed my car and onto the frail cracked walkway that led up to the house, pushing all my skepticism aside.

But I stopped midway, feeling unsure as my doubts slowly began to slither back into my thoughts.

What if Chase's father was here alone? What would he do to me, if he found me helplessly walking up to his house? Why was I even here, if I couldn't even offer Chase any protection?

I was just about to turn away and try my best to forget I ever came here when I heard it.

Chase's voice, as well as his father's, shouting back and forth.

Their shouts were the same as a few days ago, just as malicious and angry. Without thinking, I shot forward and began banging on the door, my hands and body shaking uncontrollably.

"Chase!" I yelled, my voice unsteady and scared. But with all the adrenaline pumping through me, I couldn't think about how afraid I was.

In a flash, the door was swung open, and I only got a glimpse of Chase's wide green eyes and panicked face before I was swept up into his arms and carried away, towards my car and far from his father's mad voice.

He dashed to the driver's side, hurriedly opening the door and sliding me inside.

"Go!" He shouted, sending me a stern look of command.

I frowned, shaking my head. "I'm not going to just leave you here!"

His eyes sharpened to an intense glare, making me hold my breath and lift up my chin in challenge.

He leaned in towards me, "I told you, you need to—"

"Chase!" A deep, terrifying scruffy voice called. Chase and I both whipped our heads in its direction, my short moment of strength beginning to dwindle.

His father stood in the doorway, his eyes dark and icy cold.

I gulped.

"Kaylee," Chase hissed into my ear in warning. 

When had he moved so close?

I kept my eyes firmly planted on his father as my grip tightened on the steering wheel. I didn't say anything. I couldn't, as the stocky, tall man began fumbling toward my car, pushing himself away from the door frame.

"Please," Chase's voice turned soft and sounded desperate.

I didn't move.

He sighed deeply then, and I could feel his breath tickle my cheek. My heart began to speed up so fast I feared it would explode.