Chapter Four: My "Hero"

I frowned at Chase. Did he really think he could order me around so easily? "Uh- no thanks," I firmly responded as I pushed myself up and wiped my jeans off for any dirt or dust that might have accumulated on them from the fall, glowering at the fact that he didn't even offer to help me up.

Austin had, I thought, but shook my head. Why does that matter?

Chase raised an eyebrow, "I think you are."

I threw my hands up in frustration, "I'm already late for class!"

Chase placed his hands on his hips and scowled at me, "So what?"

My face deadpanned, "So," I spoke matter-of-factly, "This place is called school, and when in it, we're supposed to sit in a room called class and learn stuff?"

Chase sighed as he shook his head disapprovingly, "Don't you have any fun or are you always so uptight?"

I folded my arms and raised my chin, "I'm just a sensible person, unlike others I know."

Chase ignored my last comment, "If I let you go to class—"

"Let?" I repeated, fuming. Was this guy for real?!

"—Then you have to meet me after football practice so we can discuss our senior project." He finished, ignoring my obvious glares.

"Why can't we just talk on the phone?" I demanded.

"Come on," He placed both hands behind his head and leaned against the wall in a casual pose, "Don't you want to hang out with someone as cool and handsome as me?" He winked with a smug smile, "Besides, you owe me food."

I groaned in frustration and rubbed my forehead. He was giving me a headache. "Chase, how is it possible your head hasn't exploded? You're the most arrogant guy I've ever met," I looked him up and down, "And you're not even close to a 6."

Chase snorted and then overdramatically flinched as he put a hand to his chest, stumbling forward a few steps, "Ouch, sugar lips. That one hurt," He said sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes, beyond done with his cocky attitude, "I'm going to class now."

"Fine," Chase stood up straight and huffed, "Only because coach asked me to do better this year with attendance."

"And you were trying to get me to skip with you anyways?"

Chase suddenly turned serious and took a step towards me. He leaned down until his face was only inches from mine and I could smell his minty fresh breath; way closer than comfortable.

"Anything for you, sugar lips," He spoke low and suggestively.

I couldn't help but feel a blush growing on my face. Flustered, I quickly pushed him back and started jogging to class. "Perv!" I yelled over my shoulder as I heard him burst into fits of laughter.

He was so annoying! Why did he have to act so weird around me? He couldn't treat me like I was some sort of toy to play and mess around with!

Seething, I took a long breath of air to calm myself before entering into my classroom. I was about to open the door, my hand on the handle when a deep, gravelly voice spoke up from somewhere behind me.

"Ms. Bauer?"

I froze.

You've got to be kidding me.

With remorse, I hesitantly let go of the door handle and slowly turned around as I bit my lower lip. Standing behind me was Mr. Jones, the vice principal. He was an older man, maybe in his 50s or so, and his favorite pastime consisted of handing out detention slips— especially to the seniors. For some reason, every year he thought we were all too excited to graduate and took every opportunity he could get to make us loathe school even more.