Chapter Twenty-Seven: Jealousy

"Kaylee—"

I instantly stood up straight and began fast walking down the aisle. There was no way in hell I was even going to look at the stupid, irritating, conceded—

"Kaylee, just— wait up!"

I hurriedly turned the corner and went down another random aisle, keeping my pace up. I didn't stick around yesterday when Cassandra decided to plant one on Chase, and I've been avoiding him ever since. I've gotten a few calls and texts from him, surprisingly, but haven't cared enough to answer them or open the messages.

I heard Chase call my name several more times and, seeing the storage room door, dashed towards it and quietly opened it and slipped inside, hoping and praying Chase wouldn't think to look in here.

The door clicked as it closed, and I let out a breath in relief.

"Hiding from someone?"

I jumped and spun around, my heart rate spiking, until my eyes landed on the familiar chocolatey brown ones of Anthony.

"You scared me!" I hissed, bringing a hand up to my heart and taking in a deep breath.

Anthony chuckled as he set down the box he was carrying and took a seat on it. "Why so jumpy?"

I frowned at him and crossed my arms, "I'm not." I stood up straighter and lifted my chin, "I just need something."

He raised an eyebrow, "Really?"

"Yes," I insisted, glancing around the room until I spotted the closest shelf and grabbed the first thing I could, "I need this."

Anthony snorted, gazing at me with amusement, "You need dog supplements?"

I looked down at the dog supplements and felt my cheeks pinch with heat. Clearing my throat, I tried to keep my voice level and professional, "Uh- yeah. A lady was asking about them for her dog, obviously."

Anthony folded his arms as he looked at me knowingly, his lips tugging upward into a grin. "Wow, I guess I should talk with this owner then. It must be serious."

I felt a frown fall on my face, "What? No, it isn't serious. They're just vitamins."

"Oh?"

I felt my frown deepen as I glanced down at the bottle of pills and read the description. "Implement in pets food daily for cure of yeast infection..."

My eyes slowly widened as I realized what it was I was actually holding, just as Anthony burst into laughter.

"Are you going to stop lying now and tell me why you're hiding?" He asked, his grin widening comically.

I rolled my eyes as I roughly put the pills back in their place on the shelf and let out a loud huff, "I'm just irritated."

"Chase again?" Anthony asked.

I leaned against the door with exhaustion, "Is it ever anyone else?"

Anthony chuckled, creating those charming dimples on either side of his cheeks, "Not really." he sat for a moment, and then suddenly cleared his throat and stood up. I watched as he moved to stand by beside me and lean against the door, "Is this about that bet?"

I took in a gasp and pushed myself off the door, looking at Anthony in shock, "How do you know about that?"

He shrugged casually, "I overheard you guys talking about it."

I stared at him in disbelief for a while, until it subsided and I re-took my place against the door, surprise being replaced by annoyance. "Yeah, well, I don't think it's still even a thing anymore."