Chapter Fifteen: Staying Strong

Come on, Kaylee. You can do this.

I blinked once.

Then twice.

Maybe if I just said I was sick...

No! I can do this! I'm not a wimp!

Releasing a large breath, I notice a big poster of a golden labradoodle plastered on the pet shops side window. His big round eyes leered at me, as if mocking my inner thoughts.

I glowered back at the poster, placing my hands on my hips and letting out a loud huff.

"Well, I'm not!" I shouted, protesting defensively.

My eyes slowly widened as I realized I was trying to defend myself against a poster.

I had gone insane.

"You're not what, Kaylee?"

I flinched in surprise, placing a hand on my heart, and took in a startled gasp. Anthony stared at me with a sincerely worried expression, his head sticking out past the pet store's entrance doors to get a clear view of me.

I watch as his face deadpans when I don't answer, and an eyebrow slowly rises on his face in question.

My face instantly flushes in humiliation as I finally find my voice. "N-nothing," I insist, shaking my head and waving my hand dismissively a little too wildly.

"Right..." Anthony's face deepens with concern, unconvinced. "Well, are you going to come in, then? Or stay outside and continue to have imaginary conversations with yourself all day?"

I felt all the color instantly drain from my face as his words sunk in. I must have looked like a total lunatic! What was wrong with me?

I shook my head frantically, trying to stay focused, "C-coming in, of course!"

Anthony chuckled, opening the door the rest of the way and gesturing for me to hurry up and enter. I quickly scurried into the pet shop.

"So, you gonna tell me what that was all about?" Anthony asked as he followed me inside.

I bit my lip, "It's nothing, really."

He rolled his eyes, a grin tugging at his lips. "Right." He looked down at me for a moment, and then nudged his head to the side, "Well then, follow me."

My face still burning, I ducked my head low as I stalked behind him into one of the aisles. I bit my lip furiously as a question continued nagging at the back of my head, until I finally willed myself to quietly ask, "Is Chase here?"

I peeked up to see Anthony shaking his head, "No. He should be here soon, though."

I felt a scowl fall on my face. That stupid jerk was late! Where was my deep sincere apology? Chase on his hands and knees, begging for my forgiveness? I hadn't heard a peep from the arrogant, blackmailing devil since Friday! I at least expected a text or phone call, or for him to be looking for me at school yesterday or today. Just something! Anything! But there was nothing from him. Absolutely nothing.

I glared at Anthony's back, fuming. What was Chase's problem? Did he care about me or didn't he? 

I let out a frustrated groaned. I just needed to get his annoyingly attractive face out of my head!

Anthony suddenly stopped, making me run into his firm back. I scrunched my face up as I rubbed my now throbbing nose.

"Okay, what's wrong," Anthony sighed as he turned to gaze down at me with his chocolate brown eyes, waiting for an explanation. I decided to act dumb.