Chapter Twenty-Nine: Darkness of Night

I caught myself as I stumbled out of the house, clutching onto the doorframe with one hand and making sure I didn't drop the frozen bag of peas in the other.

Looking up, I felt my stomach clenched as my eyes landed on Chase's back. He was hunched over, sitting in the middle of one of the steps that lead up to the house.

I watched a couple sloppily stumbled around Chase with caution; I'm sure terrified to start a fight with him. As soon as they made it around him, they quickly scurried past me and into the house, leaving the front yard empty besides me and Chase for once. As soon as they were inside, I shut the door, only slightly muffling the loud, pounding music.

Taking in a deep breath, I tightened my grip on the icy cold bag and moved forward and around Chase so I was facing him and crouched down on the step just below.

Delicately, I placed the bag of frozen peas against his face.

He flinched as he let out a quiet hiss, but soon relaxed under the cool pressure and slouched forward again.

I couldn't help it. Tears burned at the back of my eyes as I examined the now forming bruise right under his cheekbone— purple and blue and painful.

Right after Jack got that final punch in, Chase turned furious. He'd flipped the two of them over and landed good several blows to Jack's face until I was whirled into another guys arms and Sam and one of Jacks friends pulled them off of each other. It all happened so fast— if it wasn't for the proof on Chase's face, I would never have believed it actually happened. Sam then forced Chase to cool off outside and sent me with the frozen peas.

Chase continued to keep his gaze low, studying the concrete's steps beneath his feet, refusing to look at me. My heart thrashed against my chest with anticipation. I was reeling through my mind, trying to sort through my thoughts as if they were all neatly placed in filing cabinets. Unfortunately, they weren't. My thoughts were raided and scattered all over the floor, crumpled and ripped apart. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to do.

I noticed my hand was shaky. Why couldn't I keep it under control? Why was I always so nervous around Chase? Why couldn't it be like before, when he would say stupid arrogant remarks about himself and I would bite his head off about it? It was barely over a month ago when we first met, and yet it felt like years of history had been written between us two.

I pulled the frozen bag away for a moment, worried I would freeze his face if I kept it on for too long. Instead, I gently padded the bruise with it. Was I hurting him? Was this even helping, or making it worse?

My breath caught as Chase lifted his hand to the bag, taking it out of my grasp. Our hands touched for a brief moment, and the shock waves and tingles that danced all along my arms made me flinch away, bringing my hand close to me. How did he still have such an effect on me?

"You can leave," Chase mumbled, his voice tight and raw. "You don't have to sit out here with me in pity. I know you'd rather be with someone else."

I didn't move. I just continued staring at him, my voice somewhere else. I tried finding it, but every time I opened my mouth my heart felt like it was going to explode and I worried the tears would begin to flow.

Chase shifted, still keeping his eyes low and everywhere but at me. For once I actually wished he would just look at me. I knew my face would tell him much more than my words ever could.

I bit my lip. Stop being such a baby, Kaylee! You deserve answers. Women up and just talk to him already!

I closed my eyes, took in a deep breath, and without opening them, kept my voice quiet as I spoke. I was worried if I talked too loud, my voice would crack.