Chapter Nine - Mr. Germdols

Sean opened his eyes and glanced up at the clock, 8:30am.  His room was still dark due to the drape’s uncanny ability to block all sunlight from entering his room. 

Sean groggily sat up and checked the bed, Lilly was still asleep.  He then leaned over her sleeping body and pulled the blinds back just enough to peek outside.  It was a bright day; no overcast like most mornings.  He let the blinds swish heavily closed and flicked on the light.  Sean nudged Lilly who was still amazingly sleeping on his bed, for fourteen hours now she’s been there.  She slowly opened her eyes and mumbled, “I don’t feel good.”

“I know, you said that last night.”

“I did?” Lilly said as she rolled out of the bed.  She stumbled off and opened the bedroom door, seeming not to notice she’d been stripped down to the underwear or that Sean was still staring at her, expecting her to say a little more.  Sean heard another door slam down the hall, the bathroom.  Sean followed after her but passed through the hall and into the kitchen.  It looked as if his mother left them alone and that his dad never came home, again.  His dad was probably on the verge of another break through with his cancer research.  A bloody mess and a missing son sure wasn’t going to stop him.

Sean heard the bathroom door creak open and Lilly slowly walked into the kitchen.  “I feel like crap.  My head hurts, and if I move too fast everything swirls around me.” She went straight for a cabinet next to the sink and pulled a bowl and box of cereal out of it, making herself at home—she hardly left his house anyways as-of-late. 

“Sorry, it was a bad idea.  I had no idea you wouldn’t be able to stop bleeding.”

“I didn’t know either,” she sounded much clearer with the cotton balls and gauze out of her mouth, “the poison in my fangs promotes bleeding.  When I ripped out my gums the poison bled through my fangs more than expected.”  She pulled open the fridge and went for a half-full gallon of milk as Sean hovered near the middle of the kitchen, watching her.

Lilly looked at the cereal box and remembered trying to eat with the fangs and gums, cereal wasn’t possible and she’d stuck to a strictly soft-food diet for quite a while.   She rubbed her tongue up against a fang then completely closed her jaw and shifted it around.  No blood or pain, only the aching from the damage done yesterday.  “At least it worked.  My gums don’t hurt anymore and I can close my mouth.” She shrugged and poured cereal into the bowl before taking it with the milk over to the kitchen table.

Lilly slumped down into one of the chairs surrounding the kitchen table.  Her hands were slightly shaking already. “I think you need more blood,” Sean said, noticing her shaking hands and momentarily, body.

“Yes but how?” Lilly asked.  She felt worn out, like after a day of hard work, but she just woke up a few minutes ago.  She struggled a bit to pour the milk into the bowl and once satisfied began eating, happy she could at least eat crunchy foods without worrying about irritating her gums.

Sean taunted Lilly with his arm, “You’re a vampire right? Can’t you just suck some out?”

“I’m not going to ever suck blood from you,” she said.

Sean pulled back his wrist.  “Okay then, but we need to find someone.  Look, you’re shaking and you can barely stand up.  You’re weak and need some soon.”

“Agreed,” her voice shook with her body.  She rested her head on the table after only a few bites.  Her body was so worn out she couldn’t hold it up anymore.

“I have an idea,” Sean started as he swirled around Lilly, grabbed the milk, swung back to the fridge, and stuck it in, “you should try Mr. Germdols. He’s already a vampire,” he chuckled, “he deserves it for forcing so much homework on us.”