Chapter Thirty-Four - The most Important Human in the World

Enjoy - vote to support :)

“It’s here.”  Thomas’ frightened voice spoke as gunfire shook the hazard zone normally silent outside his home.

“Yes, it is.”  Sin agreed, nursing a few small scratches on his legs he got from running quickly through the Russian mountains on his fake attack on Sir Kelton’s caravan, then more from his real attack on the Russians to prevent them from hurting Lilly more.  “Dim the lights.”  Sin walked up to the candles next to the entrance as Tom flicked off the overhead chandler. Sin smothered out the pair of candles and they waited.

“Let’s hope this garbage heap of a hideout we have actually works like it should.” Thomas looked up from the stolen new table Sin jumped in weeks ago.  The hide out had turned from wet cracked marble covered with filthy blankets with a single man hiding in a corner to a near full blown house under the rocks.  The marble floor had been straightened and several walls were put up to hide the gravel of the previous ‘natural’ walls.  The now completed roof was slightly slanted but at least blocked out all moisture. 

The pair, mostly with Thomas’s expertise, figured out how to re-route the natural warmth from the defunct shield underground into the house, to keep the house from dropping into the freezing temperatures that now struck Seattle during each night.

Sin heard crunching outside—it was boots marching through the hazard zone, looking for hideouts.  The Lucarian rebels had been spotted a while back using the rubble as hideouts to strike the strong American fortifications located in Seattle.  The soldiers outside belonged to the Democratic remains.  A click snapped from the darkness by Thomas—he just snapped an automatic pistol out of its hidden plastic clamp under the table.  The stomping came to a halt somewhere in front entrance of their hideout, “I see something,” A deep voice rumbled on the other side of the wall from Sin, who was now pressed against the cement by the entrance ready to attack.

“Light,” A female voice responded.  A gun clicked its safety off just outside of the hideout and the metal bolt on the gun was retracted, ready to fire.

Sin, careful not to make a sound slipped off into the dark corner furthest from Tom’s computers and old blanket mess and returned with a semi-automatic hunting rifle he obtained at a local hunting lounge. 

An explosion of gunfire erupted beside the hideout—it was being fired off in some other direction.  Sin dropped to the ground as the bullets roared off into some far direction.  After crawling directly under the entrance he reached his hand up into a small compartment just below the wood square used to block the outside cold from leaking in. When his hand came back down he had yet another pistol under his control—this one happened to be the very same miniature pistol he shot Lilly with in Russia. 

Return fire was heard, several bullets whizzed into the exposed rubble.  They could hear the bullets tear apart the concrete before the sound finally struck something else—flesh.  The machine gun fire next to the door came to a halt as a body hit the ground.  A few more bullets zipped into the broken rock before a second figure hit the side of their mound, whoever was right outside their home lost the exchange.  About a minute passed before a few more footsteps came into earshot, whoever hit the gunners next to their hideout was making sure they got the kill.

 “Heretic’s!” a female voice shouted outside as two pistol shots went off before being silenced by a third.

“We’re the ones bringing down the evil of this country. We are simply its liberators.” A voice spat out into the silence.

“Help, it hurts!” a frightened male voice followed, it must have been the person the woman shot before she was finally gunned down.  Sin counted at least two out there, but there could be more.