Chapter Forty-One - Bloody Retribution

Enjoy - and Vote :)

Lilly cringed as the Egyptian desert heat pounded on her black clothing.  She knew she hadn’t been in Egypt since her near death experience at the fort. Yet she had orders from Hector—to create ghouls in every city, every town, and every village across the world and she could no longer avoid the entire country—it would arouse suspicion which would inevitably result in pain.  Lilly evaded the desert long enough, but she was running out of targets.  Cairo was the next and was the last major city for her to attack.  After Cairo she’d be forced to move to attacking exclusively towns, villages and other smaller cities—there were thousands of them, it would take months for her to complete the task.

Lilly appeared in a market to scope it out before turning into smoke.  She watched as a couple people scurried off to their respective homes.  Almost no one was in the streets here.  She would have to find a populated safe house or home to attack.  Eyes locked on her from shady alleys, she’d been spotted.  Lilly cracked a smiled at the watchful eyes, they meant nothing.  It’s not like those watchful eyes it mattered, there was nothing they could do except warn the poor citizens that the attack was here, it was finally their time.  Looking around the small selection of shop owners and frightened people, Lilly tried to find a crowded spot to turn out few ghouls so she could quickly get out of this terrifying country. 

The eyes continued to stare, this was different that most the lookouts.  Normally they would have scurried off to warn the officials, to warn the city governors it was time to run for those who haven’t already fled to the countryside.  But these people just stared at her from under their cloaks, as if they were gearing up for an assault.  Were they crazy? Did they not read the stories?  She was unkillable, any attack would end horribly for them.

“Mistress,” a deep voice came from behind her.  Startled, Lilly turned around, she was in the center of the road with cloaked men all around her.  An attack?  The voice spoke again, “Do I have permission to hurt you?” the voice continued after she turned around.

Lilly scowled and responded, “What?” in the last few weeks no one ever approached her with threats.  Lilly took a few steps back and withdrew her gun.  This guy must be joking, that or he had a death wish. 

He pulled a small panel out of a pocket in his cloak.  It was another replica of the button.  Lilly exhaled, it had to be another fake, just like the Queen of Britain tried.  Lilly held the gun at the man’s head and said, “It’s a fake, you think others haven’t tried that already?  You just voted yourself to be the slaughter of your own people.” Lilly smiled and lifted her lips to show her fangs. 

Her fingers slowly tightened on the trigger as she lowered her aim from his head to his chest.  At that moment a bolt of pain slithered up her arm, pain she hadn’t felt since Nikon first used it in Russia.  Her hand lost all control and flung open, letting her gun hit the aged pavement.  Lilly tried to use her other hand to stop the pain, to grab her left hand, but it only made the pain worse.  Lilly dropped to her knees.  She managed to slip her jacket up just enough to spot the diamond bracelet.  All the diamonds had turned from crystal clear to a foggy yellow and she could see forks of electricity feeding from the diamonds to her skin.  She tried to withdraw her right hand from its grip on her left arm, but it wouldn’t budge, the electricity had created a loop.

With as much force as she could she pulled at her right arm, her bone fingers slipped out of the glove and instead went right for the ground, to catch herself from hitting it face first.  She looked up and the man in the heavy black cloak removed his finger from the button.  But the pain didn’t go away.  It only mellowed.  Her hand shuck violently as she looked down at it again, the skin surrounding the bracelet was singed red, some of it even still smoking from the high voltage.  Other than her arm, a numbing sensation filled the rest of her body.  The one hand holding her up buckled at the elbow and she fell forward onto the ground.