Chapter Nineteen - The Egyption Fort

Lilly glanced out and down at the wasteland of sand and dead shrubbery below.  The blades above billowed in circles kicking up the sand even from the few hundred feet they hovered it.  It was the same scene as far as the eye could see: hills of sand, occasional brown shrubs, intermingled cactus on rare occasions, it was the Sahara desert.  She padded her pockets and decided after feeling the L-shape of metal in one of the pockets that she was ready for battle, she knew where her target was, what to expect, and exactly what to do.  Where—a fortress in the middle of the desert, what—a few hundred guards and any paperwork or guns she could find, and what to do—kill them all.  What more did she need to know?

Her hair was forced behind her head to prevent the chopper from blowing it everywhere and she had her revolver in a zipped up tight in the pocket of her jacket, loaded and ready to fire with twenty-two more spare bullets securely in the other.  Yes the soldiers tried to get her a bigger gun, an automatic at least—but she refused.  She was attached to her revolver and wouldn’t go anywhere without it, nothing else even seemed to suit her.  The revolver is what changed her, what threw her life to where she’s at now—so naturally it should be her main tool to change the lives of so many others.

The helicopter landed causing a large torrent of dust so blinding she couldn’t see more than a few feet.  There was nothing in all directions, only the moonlight gleaming down on hundreds of miles of cool sand.  Once landed and engines off with the dust quickly settling Lilly watched the five soldiers who came along on her mission and pilot unpack various things.  She had no part in what they were doing, it wasn’t her problem.  They set up a tent, radio, few guns, and some odd technical contraptions she didn’t recognize. 

Once set up the pilot—who was also the highest ranking member of the team and in a one piece green jump suit reviewed the instructions, “The attack will take place at ten-thirty am this morning, that’s in five hours.  Mistress Damned will strike with haste attempting to kill most, if not all of the men on guard to prevent any leaks of our attack.  She will then attempt to set fire or otherwise destroy everything in the fort including weapons, explosives but more importantly sensitive documents.  Jerry, Nic, Abel, Herald, Jes, you five will be moved and position yourselves  two miles away from the base in five directions making a circle to prevent any runners from escaping.  Sniper rifles will be used in the defensive ring.  No survivors.  Everyone clear?” 

“Yes, sir!” the five men responded in unison, each suited in brown cameo and full military gear.  Lilly flung a single hand into the air to signify that she understood the order, again. 

The five soldiers disappeared into the tent.  They came out a few minutes later with fairly large guns and several dirt bikes.  Dirt bikes, that was what they were frantically putting together and building when she was playing in the sand?  Before they could part their separate ways with their guns and bikes Lilly was gone, she jumped to the fort—personal scouting, she told herself.

***

“I’m sorry Tom,” Sin apologized once more.

“And once more, it’s okay,” Thomas threw his hands in the air still looking over the disaster in his makeshift house.

“At least the carpet soaked most of it up.”

“And good thing you teleported the body outside before it made any more mess.” Thomas tried to make the situation sound better.

“But I threw it on the hot zone right when it got hot, now it’s going to smell like burning flesh for weeks.” Sin tried to make it sound worse again.

“You moved it after that, somewhere far away.  Hey, at least it wasn’t me.” Thomas continued to make the best out of the mess.

“True, but that rug’s got to go.”