Chapter Eleven - The Wizard

Another week passed.  Lilly finally moved everything to Sean’s house and stopped going to her own house—surprisingly his parents supported her moving out, even without her needing to control them.  She simply told them a version of the truth, what her dad did and where he is now.

Sean walked into the house by himself after school. It had been eight days since they got arrested.  Lilly mentioned “things to do” and dropped him off at the house before vanishing before him.  Lilly didn’t show up until late that night, leaving him alone to wonder where she went, it was the first time she actually left him for an extensive period of time.  When she did get home well after sunset Sean asked her where she disappeared to. 

She refused to answer and three more days passed before Sean saw where she probably was on the morning news which chanted in a formal tone,  “The murder of Matthew Germdols a teacher from HMS High School struck again, this time it took officials three days to discover the scene.  Large quantities of blood spread across the Little Man hiking trail along with a missing body match the scene from the Germdols case.  Officials are not sure, but are starting to suspect connections.  Perhaps a serial killer.”

 Sean lowered the volume and slipped a glance over the couch to Lilly, who was in the kitchen “You did it again!?” he asked.

“It felt so good last time; I wanted to feel the rush again.” She reacted coolly.

“But that thing you created was dangerous!” Sean said.

“I drained all the blood this time, he was dead, no chance of standing back up—I dumped the body a few hundred miles away after waiting quite a while.”

“Hundred miles?”

“Yes, I can jump pretty far, I’ve been testing it, my max distance around a thousand miles any further and I don’t go anywhere.”

“Be careful, don’t stand out.  I’m worried you’ll get caught, that I’ll get caught.”  He figured he’d be unable to stop her, especially after that look she gave him the first time she drew blood, but at least he could warn her.  They didn’t talk about the killings the rest of the evening and completely avoided the subject.  As the next morning showed up they prepared for school and did their routine jump to the field.  After a dull math lecture featuring the now permanent teacher who covered the first days Mr. Germdols was found missing the pair separated for their various classes and planned, as normal, to meet up during lunch.

***

The bell finally rang, lunch time.  Sean had a class across the school, so Lilly had to walk across campus to meet him, they normally met mid-way and there was no one she’d jump with so many bystanders.  As she stepped out of her classroom and moved down the wooden ramp of the trailer-room something unusual caught her eye.  She turned to get a better look at it and saw a flash, a sparkle from atop a hill about a mile from campus.  Whatever was on the normally barren hill was reflecting light like a beacon.  She watched the glitter in the distance while shielding her face from the sun with the sleeve of her jacket.

The sparkle started to move, it was coming right at her.  With no time to think Lilly moved to her left about as fast as she did on her original trial run with Dr. Hemaz, something she didn’t think she could do in the spur of a moment.  The sparkle crashed into the concrete a few feet behind her, throwing up a frenzy of dust and rock.  A second later a distant crack rang sounding like a backfiring car.  A bullet.

Lilly looked up at the hill and saw another flicker of light.  She easily dodged a second bullet.  Someone was shooting at her.  With nowhere to hide, she ran back into her class, not wanting to teleport in the middle of the hall.  As the door slammed shut her history teacher asked, “Lilly? What’s the matter?”