{13} The Tree Stump

~Summer-Storm~

I groan as I open my eyes and look around.

I'm still in Kayden's room.

I'm lying on my back as he lies on his side, his arms wrapped around my waist and his face buried in the crook of my neck.

"Kayden." I whisper. "Kayden."

He groans and holy hell, was it hot.

"Yeah?" He answered in that raspy morning voice of his that happens to be very sexy. I wouldn't mind waking up to that everyday.

Yo, Summer-Storm, what the hell are you thinking?! Snap out of it!

"Do you want to skip school again and go to the tree stump?" I ask, seeing him open his blue eyes and look at me.

"Sure."

*~*

Slowly, we approach the tree stump.

Kayden's arm around my shoulder and my arm around his waist.

All the things we put in it are still there, along with a plaque nailed onto the stump.

In loving memory of Jayden Paris.

Just then, another memory makes its way into my mind.

-FLASHBACK-

Kyla walks to the tree stump, placing a beanie in the tree stump.

"This beanie used to belong to him. I took it from him when we were twelve and never gave it back." She explains, sniffling. "Jayden, I'm sorry."

She walks back over and I hug her as she cries into my shoulder.

Nate goes up next. He puts a blue X-Box controller in the stump.

"This is the X-Box controller he always used when he came over to our house." He says. "Jayden, I bet you'll kick everyone's ass playing COD in heaven."

Then it's Cole's turn. He places an old, worn out book in the stump.

"Pride and Prejudice. His favourite book. He took it with him everywhere when we're were in school." Cole tells us. "Jayden, keep reading, buddy."

Reese's turn. He places a box of fireworks down.

"He and I loved to do boom-booms together all the time. We would always buys them for eachother on our birthdays and set them off at night." He explains, using his special names for fireworks. "Jayden, Foo-Foo Cuddly Poops and I hope you have unlimited boom-booms up there."

My turn.

I take a deep breath before slowly walking up. I place a picture of him and I on Christmas in the tree stump. I was wearing a red onsie with a Santa hat on my head and Jayden was wearing a green onsie and a Rudolph nose and antlers as we grinned at the camera.

"This photo was taken during Christmas. We promised eachother we would dress up, so we did. He ate all the candy canes off the Christmas tree." I tell them, my eyes glassy. "Jayden, you are my best friend. I hope you did everything you wanted to."

I walk back and Cole embraces me in his arms as I let a few tears slip.

Last but not least, Kayden.

He places a basketball jersey with the number 24 on it.

"This was his basketball jersey. He's had number 24 since we started playing. It was also his lucky number. And let me tell you, best Small Forward I've ever seen." He admits, his eyes shining with unshed tears. "Jayden, I miss you, bro. Have fun up there."

What happened next was like a domino effect.

Kayden starts sobbing, tears streaming down his cheeks. Then Kyla starts bawling her eyes out again. Then Reese starts crying loudly, cuddling the stuffed unicorn he brought along. Then Cole starts sobbing. Then Nate starts bawling. And then I start sobbing all over again.

I break out of Cole's arms and run into Kayden's. He holds me close as we all cry.

Cole hugs Kyla tightly.

And Nate and Reese hug eachother, the stuffed unicorn in the middle of them.

What I said next made everyone cry harder.

"Rest in peace, Jay Jay."

*~*

"Thinking about the little funeral we had for him?" Kayden's voice rings out, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I nod numbly.

We both sit in front of the stump and relax for the rest of the day.

*~*

As Kayden and I walk up his driveway, we see a white van parked behind his mum's car.

We reach the front door and hear screaming and crying coming from inside.

We share a look before bursting into the house.

We stop short when we see who's standing in front of Mama Paris.

Kayden's father.