8 - Colt: Divine

I was up pacing outside of Vee's door, walking around like an idiot at nine o'clock in the morning. She'd been in there for over twelve hours and I hadn't heard a noise since something smashed against the floor last night. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I was mortified.

I managed to break the doorknob and unlock it with my hands, but it wouldn't budge when I pushed against it to get inside. Obviously, my only other option was to break the door down, but it didn't open the slightest. After several of attempts, I eventually fell asleep on the floor outside of the door, waking up with a pain in my neck, a bruised jaw and bruised knuckles. But all of that didn't compare to how I felt in my gut.

Thinking back to what I did, I knew for a fact that when I died, I was going straight to hell. I fucking deserved worse than that, and there was no getting around it.

I punched Avan, took Vee to a pub and roughed her around like a fucking dick, all because she wouldn't listen to me. Of course she wouldn't listen to me - she had every right not to after I'd kept her in the dark for so long.

All she wanted to know was the truth... But I wasn't sure she could handle it. I wasn't even sure if I could handle knowing that she'd leave me because of it.

I pressed my ear against the door to again, only to hear a defeating silence in response. I was losing all of my damn courage by the second.

I practiced all night how I was going to apologize to her, and I'd only be able to do it if she gave me the time of day. I wasn't sure if I had the guts to look her in the face after what I'd said, or what I'd done... If she ever found it in her heart to forgive me, I would never do something like this to hurt her again.

As I thought again about ways to break through the door, I remembered the toilet - it was connected to the guest bedroom.

I shot up, sprinting to the guest bathroom and quickly turned the knob of the door separating me from Vee. To my dismay, it was also locked.

With determination set in my mind, I grabbed a tight hold of the knob and twisted it with enough force that my skin was flaming. When I heard the crunch of the metal splitting apart from the lock, I slowly pushed the door open in triumph.

Straight ahead of me, I spotted Vee under the covers of the guest bed, her bare back exposed to me as she slept soundlessly. I shivered, fighting the urge to climb into bed with her.

I glanced over to see the bedroom chair jammed under the door knob, blocking my way inside. No wonder I couldn't break it down, I thought. I chuckled lightly at her swift thinking. Then I noticed the smashed up lamp on the floor, shards scattered around the nightstand.

I sighed. I always made the blunder of underestimating her.

I grabbed the chair and placed it beside the bed, taking a seat. I watched her like a guardian angel, when really, I seemed to be the exact opposite lately.

She hummed as she slept, her chest rising and falling at an even pace. Her dark hair cascaded around her, and her expression seemed so much more relaxed than I'd seen her in a while.

I couldn't fight the yearning desire to kiss her bare skin. I leaned forward and placed my lips on her exposed shoulder with a feathery kiss, allowing my lips to linger there for a few moments.

I missed her so much. Not just in the physical sense, but in everything. She hadn't been herself these past few days and it took me too long to come to terms with the fact that it was all my fault.

She stirred beneath my touch all of a sudden and I felt the panic rise in my chest, not knowing how she'd react upon seeing me.

Her eyes slowly fluttered open and she smiled for a moment, before it took her a few seconds to remember what had happened. Her smile faded quickly, her eyes wary as she watched me. She pulled the comforter up on her body as she sat up, shrinking away from me.