12 - Colt: Lesson Or Two

I sat at the kitchen table, shuffling through my mail with a cup of steaming coffee in my left hand.

It was already 11AM and Vee was sleeping soundly upstairs, her hair cascading around her shoulders and her pink lips swollen. I pressed a small kiss to her bare back on her right shoulder blade before I slipped out from under the covers, leaving her to sleep.

I smiled, thinking back to last night as if it were a moment I would cherish for the rest of my existence. Her ability to keep me on my toes always amazed me. I felt like I was falling deeper into love with her every moment I would spend with her, even though she sometimes drove me up the wall.

But no matter how crazy she was, she was mine. I wanted to make sure she knew it and I everyone else knew it, too. I was jealous and possessive and I didn't care - I was shamelessly infatuated with her and I wanted the world to understand it.

I tossed the mail against the dining table with more force than I anticipated, just about to go into the living room, when an envelope stood out to me. It was for Vee, addressing Valentina Marino.

That was suspicious to me, mainly because she'd only been living here for two weeks... How did this person find out her new address?

I flipped the envelope over to examine the return address, noticing that it was sent from Toronto, Canada, from a Jaden R.

I couldn't fight the urge to open it up, even though I knew it was morally wrong. I peeled the edge of the flap, pushing my index finger underneath the paper when I heard footsteps hurriedly padding across the floor upstairs.

I left the letter on the table and jogged upstairs, hearing Vee heave from the toilet. I opened up the door to see her hunched over the toilet, spewing her guts out into the bowl. I rushed behind her, pulling her hair out of the way. I held it up in a ponytail for her and rubbed her back in a soothing circular motion as she clutched the toilet bowel.

"Fucking morning sickness," she groaned, heaving again.

I chuckled lightly and tucked the strands of hair behind her ears. She fell back after she was finished in exhaustion, only then did I realize that she was wearing one of my shirts. Only one of my shirts.

It was a habit she'd developed, I'd like to think. Every time we had sex and she was staying over, she ended up in one of my shirts. We usually ended up having sex all over again only because she loved to tease me while prancing around with her body exposed to me.

Not that I minded much, though.

"How long is this thing gonna last again?" I asked her, helping her up to her feet.

She sighed, flushing the toilet and slamming down the seat cover before answering. "Usually until the first trimester is over. I pray that it's over soon. It hasn't been that bad this week."

I smiled, my eyes locked on her body that looked swallowed in my shirt, and she smirked when she caught me staring at her like a creep.

"Good morning, creepy," she mumbled, placing a hand on my chest, wiggling her fingers through my chest hairs.

Called it, I thought, shaking my head.

I bent down to kiss her forehead, placing my hand over hers. "Mornin', darlin'. I made toast, so y'brush your teeth and stuff and I'll make you some tea, yeah?"

She nodded, mumbling an okay and I left her to freshen up before jogging back downstairs. I turned on the kettle and got out her decaf tea, setting the bag in the mug when I remembered the mail. Just as I turned to retrieve it, she skipped downstairs looking refreshed, but still tired.