24 - Colt: Mirage

I sat at the head of the conference table, staring out of the window to my right. The weather consisted of grey skies, dark, rumbling clouds and spitting of slight rain. I frowned, staring out into the city, watching the trees quiver against the wrath of the wind and the glass of the window become blurred with raindrops.

"Mister McGregor?" someone called, and I turned to face them, my head snapping in the direction of their voice.

"Oh, yeah?"

Felix glanced over at William and back to me, sending me a forced smile.

"I apologize if we're boring you, sir, but it's quite important that we have the data you've collected from your membership statuses."

I took a few seconds to register what he said before it clicked in my brain. "Oh, yes, right. It's fine, I'm sorry... I'm just a little out of it, I guess," I chuckled awkwardly.

I opened up my briefcase quickly and began rifling through folders until I found the correct one, labelled "Membership Data", grabbing it and passing it over to Felix.

He took it, opening it up and began to analyze it carefully. Just like that, the entire meeting began all over again as they started up a discussion on the patterns in the membership information.

I internally groaned, catching Will's stare. He nodded over to the door, signaling me to meet him there. I copied his actions as he stood, politely standing too, before shuffling towards the entrance behind him.

I stepped out of the threshold to be met with his scrutinizing gaze.

"Is something wrong, Colt?" he asked, seeming genuinely concerned.

Besides the fact that my girlfriend is ignoring my multiple texts, calls and I have no idea where she is? No, absolutely nothing is fucking wrong, I thought bitterly.

"It's... complicated," I mumbled, slipping my phone from my trousers. "I just need to make a quick call. Do you think -"

"Is it Vee?" he asked, a knowing look on his face. I nodded slowly, feeling my heart sink in my chest.

"I... I need to leave, Will."

He nodded, his expression solemn. "Do what you need to, Colt. Leave all the essential paperwork with me and you'll be notified as soon as we make any important decisions. I can assure you everything will be fine here. You go."

I smiled for the first time in two long hours, feeling a weight lift from my chest. "Thank you, so much, Will. I owe you one, mate."

He waved me off, opening up the conference doors once again so I could grab my stuff. I strode over to my seat, quickly handing over all the important documents to Will whom patiently stood behind me. He took it and I looked up at the curious gazes of my workers.

"I apologize for having to leave early, but I'm having an emergency and I have to leave. Thank you all for attending the meetings -"

"But, Sir, we have yet to discuss about the probable aspects of the company and we could really use your input," Felix interjected.

I gripped my briefcase tighter, staring at him with narrowed eyes. He cowered slightly under my gaze, his expression blank.

I cleared my throat, turning to look at the entire conference table.

"My girlfriend, Valentina, is currently M.I.A, which doesn't exactly sit well with me because she is four months pregnant."

Everyone's mouths dropped open in utter shock and one guy even had the guts to speak up.