19 - Vee: Reassurance

I listened to Colt's rhythmic breathing, his chest heaving as he mumbled in his sleep. I combed my fingers through his dirty blonde hair, watching his face contort with unease.

My chest constricted as I watched him in his vulnerable state. His body laid curled up into the sofa as he slumbered. I ghosted a kiss on his cheek, then to his his nose and below his ear. His pale skin contrasted against my tan tone, but his cheeks remained flushed a light tint of pink that made me smile. I traced his lips with my pinky, the smooth skin of his rose-colored mouth enough to make me swoon.

I slipped from my spot next to him, untangling his arms from the dead grip on my waist as I stood and stretched, brushing my hand once more through his thick wavy locks as I admired him.

A feeling rushed over me that I hadn't felt in such a while, and I realized that it was because I'd never felt more in love with someone in my entire life.

I loved Colt.

Despite everything that we'd been through, everything he'd been through, and everything I'd been through... I loved him with everything I had.

He didn't have to tell me he loved me, but I knew. It was only because I wasn't going to push him to admit anything, that I myself hadn't said anything either. All I could do for now was work towards expressing how much I loved him - how much I genuinely cared about him and just being with him.

Everything was just going to have to work in its own time. I wasn't going to force anything, I wasn't going to tell him until I knew that he was as serious about me as I was about him.

I couldn't risk in jeopardizing anything.

I pressed a light kiss to his temple before venturing off upstairs.

After such a long time, I'd found peace within myself. I'd found security. Of course, it meant having to sacrifice a lot for the sake of maintaining this relationship.

I was halfway up the stairs when I heard Colt shout. I immediately turned back around and jogged down the steps to see a panicked Colt, his eyes darting around the room in fear.

"Colt? Are you -"

"Vee!" he exclaimed, spinning around with a hand to his chest. "You scared me. Christ, don't do that."

I made my way over to him and opened my arms, to which he gladly took advantage of and sunk into me.

"I thought something happened 'cause you were just here and then I woke up and you were gone. I didn't mean to yell, or anythin', sorry."

"No, it's fine. I was just going up for a minute. I didn't mean to scare you, babe."

He nodded and I sat down with him on the sofa again, allowing him to rest his head against my chest.

"It's okay," he breathed. "I didn't think I would fall asleep. I'm not the pregnant one and here I am sleepin'."

I laughed lightly, shrugging. "You work too much."

"No I don't," he suddenly became defensive, raising his head to look at me. "I actually feel like I've been working less, lately. Haven't been doing to my potential, I think."

My eyebrows raised at his remark, and I shrugged. "Well, that's what you might think, but I don't know. I mean, you own the gym, yeah, but it's not like it doesn't make you lazy if you don't slave all day."

He grunted, his defensive mode still on. "I don't work that much, you're over-exaggerating."

"If you say so," I sang, and he rolled his eyes.