Prologue

Quick Note: Welcome to the beginning of the sequel. A little info I usually like to do prologues and epilogues in third person writing. I didn't for the prologue to On the Couch. But the epilogue and this prologue is in third person. You will understand why. I believe this will make the epilogue in On the Couch make a whole lot more sense now though to. I added a picture to the right of my actual notebooks that I wrote On the Couch in for the beginning of this book just to let you all have a little insight into my world. I hope you enjoy this and it makes more sense. Believe this book is going to be a lot more confusing than the first one. Its already confusing me but I got this! =D

*

*

Detective Riley despised these late night phone calls. Nothing good ever came from them.

“Riley,” he grunted into the phone yawning as he sat up on the edge of his bed.

Rubbing his temple, Riley checked the time on his alarm clock, 2AM, definitely not good.

“Sir I think we found what you’re looking for or more adequately who,” the officer on the other line sounded fearful of the detective’s response.

“Where at?” He barked into the phone standing up and putting on the slacks that he had tossed over a chair earlier when he had gone to bed. Scowling to himself, he realized that was only four hours ago.

“In the garbage bin of Jespersen Designs.”

That woke Detective Riley’s intuition up.

“I’m on my way,” he ended the call.

Riley dressed with more urgency now as he scoured his room for clothes in the dark.

“Fuck,” he muttered tripping over one of his shoes. I should have turned on the damn light he thought still not quite awake.

Quickly he picked up his badge and gun, holstering it under his coat and left his home. I really need to get a life he thought as he drove grabbing a quick coffee that moved more like sludge in the steaming Styrofoam cup.

Riley already had his suspicions and his gut instincts were hardly ever wrong. Trusting his instincts has gotten him this far in his career why stop now? It’s not like he cared for the scumbag he was looking for, but he still had a job to do.

He pulled into the parking lot where Sonja Winters worked. He had only visited one other time. He frowned at the memory as it annoyed him. The man he had been looking for to question was on that fool hardy mission that could have and just might have or will be deadly to all.

All he had to do was follow the police lights to the far corner of the lot where crime scene tape had been put up and sectioned off. In the middle of the night with no spectators it seemed pointless.

“What do we have?” Riley asks sipping on the sludge.

“Male victim, early thirties, matches Jerry Alston’s description.”

“Dead?” The forensics technician nodded. “Injuries?”

“It looks like he died of multiple stab wounds and blood loss.” Riley’s brow furrows. That isn’t consistent with what he has been told. “The blood loss is from wounds to the face post mortem,” the forensics tech continues.

“Do we have a time of death?” Riley is confused now.

“I would guess as the body is in two parts and sometime between Friday and Saturday night last week,” the forensics tech uncovers the body that laid on the ground in two pieces and the stench was horrid. Riley is surprised that was over a week ago.

“Any evidence as to who the killer is?”

“None that I can see we will have to take it back to the lab but there are no prints everything looks clean. We got a call about the smell of a dead body from a bum who was walking by and digging in the trash for cans.”

Great Riley thought, Now I’ll have to question everyone again. He didn’t understand how this has turned into such a mystery. The case was supposed to be open and closed.

“Okay let’s work the scene,” Riley barks.

This whole case has now turned into a homicide. For some reason even though all the evidence thus far points to one person, motive, opportunity, he gets the feeling that for the first time he might be wrong.