Chapter Nine

Quick Note: So, I took almost or damn near two weeks to update. *sad face* I hate that. I have 'group counseling' that I have to do three times a week now, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and it drains me mentally. Yesterday I planned to write but I just collapsed on the couch (hehe) and watched Vampire Diaries until I fell asleep I was too tired to do anything else. Of course I still had to take care of my family during that too. This sucks. College starts back up as well at the end of the month and I have to get editing done more steadily. Sigh. So I apologize for this being so long of a wait and such a short chapter. This weekend should be better for me to write as I don't feel as drained as I did last week. Love you all so much and grateful for your patience!

*

*

“Why?” I blurted out cleaning up the wine I had spit out. I scowled. Evan watched me warily before he ran his hands through his hair.

“Partly to keep the trial quiet because of his association with you,” Evan wasn’t anymore happy about it than I was. “And because of his past association with me.” He took a large gulp of his wine.

“What kind of business would that mean you have with him?” I asked. I was furious that a client would interfere in my personal affairs. It seemed only because he could. To protect himself. I hated the man even more.

“I agreed to it Sonja. As much as I hate it, it will keep the press out and whatever happens during the trial from being front page news,” Evan gave me a pleading look. “I dug it up even though he paid the bail anonymously, so now I owe him.”

I fumed. The fact that he indicated something might come up that he wouldn’t want out was not lost on me. Maybe it was the fact he had been my therapist, or his own past with an old client. I didn’t understand why he would be involved with Hollister because of an employee that was a patient at Evan’s old practice. Hadn’t he said he wasn’t the one who had even treated that person?

“This is beyond eccentric. It is a violation of privacy for the both of us,” I snarled.

“An arrest is public record. Anyone can look up a name or call the jail.” I glared at Evan. He watched my face and sighed realizing I was not going to give up. “Please, just trust me. I’m still negotiating with him and I didn’t want you to worry about this.”

I studied his face. There seemed to be more lines in the crease of his forehead and cheeks when he scowled. He was stressed out alright.

“I do. I am not worried about me though,” I argued.

“Stubborn woman,” Evan muttered with a hint of a smile on his face. His hand came up and his thumb caressed my cheek. “When I can tell you more, I will.” He tugged my chin to look at him. “Trust me.”

“Can I confront him?” I asked hotly.

Evan raised an eyebrow and thought about that for a moment. “I don’t see why not,” he smirked. That deflated some of my frustration.

I stabbed at my food to keep my hands busy. The succulent steak had lost all its flavor when I took a bite. That smug bastard had toyed with me. He knew all along what I had been going through and what he was doing and now the burden was heavier on Evan because of it.

My heart sank as it dawned on me that if Evan had never met me this wouldn’t be happening to him. My eyes burned as tears came and I could barely breathe. All of this drama was making me feel extremely fatigued and uncomfortable.

I began to realize having a peaceful night stress free with Evan would be rare from now on – until this was over, if it ever ended.

“I’m sorry Sonja.” Evan pulled me into his arms and the loving gesture sent me over the edge. Silent tears rolled down my cheeks.