Chapter Twenty One

Quick Note: Okay, took me a bit to write this only because I wanted to take a break from the main part of the storyline and all the dramatics and add some humor. I didn't want to give you all too many heart attacks in a row. So I thought: well I did say there was a holiday break coming up in the trial so let's do a family thing. It's short, but I think you all will like it. Also, I realized I never gave their parents first names hahahaha. Want to help with that?! =P

*

Evan’s POV

“This is going to be a disaster, you know?” Sonja called from the bathroom.

“I don’t disagree, but it will be fun to watch.” I finished fixing my tie in the full length mirror that stood parallel to our bedrooms massive window.

“It will end in either tears or abundant laughter.”

I sighed, she was correct. Pregnancy hormones couldn’t be affecting her that much already could they? Oh what did I know? I definitely would be reading that ‘What To Expect’ book she picked up yesterday.

“We don’t have to announce any of the news do we?”

I walked into the bathroom and my breath was taken away. She had on her dress, in pastel blue it shimmered when the light hit it just right as she moved. My forward momentum stopped in awe.

“No. My mom is worked up enough with the trial.”

We told her mother not to bring up the pregnancy at dinner tonight and no one, but Sonja and I knew about the engagement.

“Why didn’t they help with bail instead?” Sonja pouted slightly. She did look flushed and tired. I put my hands on her shoulders from behind as we gazed at each other in the mirror.

“I didn’t tell them remember. I was going to after the arraignment, but Hollister interfered with that.” I tried not to grumble about it.

“That’s right. Well you’re mom certainly hides her feelings well if her dinner confirmation message says anything.”

I chuckled. “And you’re mother wears them on her sleeve.”

“Like I said, this will be a disaster…” she paused and finished adjusting her hair. “I’m ready.” She turned around and smiled at me.

“Beautiful.” I whispered leaning in for a taste of her lips.

“I’ll soon be fat and wobbly. Will you still love me?”

“Every inch until I die.” I deepened the kiss.

We left the house after I reluctantly let her go. It was Easter Sunday and we were going out to dinner with our families. All of them. At the same time. We chose the same restaurant we had our first real date at – Horizons. Sonja’s parents and mine together. We both were worried, but both our mother’s insisted on it since we have been together for over six months now.

Stress over the trial seems to have lessened lately. I was pretty sure Hollister being out of the way was a huge part in that, but something else nagged at me, for Sonja’s been much more pleasant than emotional over things. Or was that pregnancy in disguise? I tried not to think about it too much. It was confusing.

We drove to the restaurant and despite my previous thoughts Sonja was getting nervous. Her fidgeting hands gave that away.

“It’ll be fine, honey….” She gave me a look that could scare the devil himself. “I hope,” I added.

Our parents had already arrived; I recognized my father’s car in the parking lot. I helped Sonja out of the car and up to the restaurant as I thought: it seemed like yesterday we were here, but in fact it had been a few months.