Chapter Eight

Quick Note: Sorry it has been a week since I updated last. Things are picking up for me with my work and personally. I would have updated last night, but a few comments pissed me off demanding an update and I was already frustrated because every time I sat down yesterday to write and type I got interrupted to do something else that apparently needed immediate attention and it eventually just got too late in the evening for me to post. I hope you all will like this chapter and please have patience for updates.

Not only am I editing On the Couch I do have a family to attend to and they are priority. I have a reputation of being quick with updates and honestly a week wait is too long for me so I understand. Some authors take weeks and months and even a year to update their stories. Plus, I am going to become very busy starting on Monday next week for at least a month so it will probably stay at a weekly update right now. Thank you all for your support and love for the story! =D

*

The rest of the weekend went by too fast and the work week too slow. I was a nervous wreck knowing what Evan was dealing with.

His lawyer was back and Evan had been at his office constantly or at work with Kyle. I did get a couriered letter with the contract about the house for me to look over. It felt strange not receiving them from Evan himself, but he had much more to worry about. I would have him explain it to me later.

We spent all day Sunday together, mostly in bed. My toes curled in my boots just thinking about it. I hadn’t pressed further about what he has been talking to Hollister about despite my curiosity. There was so much going on I didn’t want to seem like a crazy selfish girlfriend. I already felt guilty enough as it was. I vowed to just be there for him like he asked and it was difficult.

He was so tired. Monday and Tuesday night when he stayed over, he fell asleep on the couch as we watched TV. I didn’t blame Evan. I enjoyed watching him sleep and running my hands through his hair, feeling his steady breathing as he rested on my chest. He hardly had slept in jail as far as he told me.

We had a dinner date planned for tonight. It would be one of the nights he finished before seven so far this week and of course my test would be to stay in a decent mood after my meeting with Mr. Hollister as it was Thursday. So far the week hasn’t been overly stressful, at least here.

The incident at the bar was either buried or forgotten from the way Eddie was behaving. Ever since my stay in the hospital he has been up and down and left or right. It was hard to gauge what mood he was in or what he was going to say. I couldn’t figure out why. It couldn’t be because of the feelings he had for me. How deep di they go? That scared me. I didn’t want to admit that they were even ‘deep’ in the first place.

I took a breath and leaned back in my chair. I needed a moment from my work and my thoughts.

My phone buzzed in my pocket startling me. It was my mother. She had been calling a lot to check on my recovery. I knew she was worried about me after the kidnapping and the injuries and how that might set me back mentally again but it hadn’t. I have been so worked up over Evan being arrested for murder that I forgot to call. She doesn’t even know about the legal case yet. I didn’t have the heart to answer the phone just yet. I let it go to voice mail.

I had to get prepared for Mr. Hollister. He would be here soon and my desk looked as scattered as my mind felt with my notes, design mock-ups and paperwork for all three of my new clients.

I began to clean up my desk as movement out in the office caught my eye. Eddie was making his rounds and he looked in my direction just as I saw him. His mouth turned into a thin line as we stared at each other. I honestly didn’t know what to say around him. I was furious about him picking Suzanne up again just to spite me because he was hurt that I didn’t share his affection.