Chapter Thirteen

Too soon it was morning. The familiar ache of a body well devoured the night before in deep passion was the first thing that greeted my senses. Rolling onto my back I smiled at the memory of Evan lost in me and me in him all night. My hand reached out for his side of the bed but was met with an empty cool pillow. He must have gotten up to start coffee, it was a work day after all. Sighing, I rolled out of bed and padded to the bathroom for a shower.

I felt peaceful and happy after last night with Evan. Even though the trial has started and the stress from that I feared would give me gray hair, it seemed as though Evan and I were strong together. Though this heat of the passion moments and no thought for protection needs to stop. We had been irresponsible and all because of the trial and stress. I didn’t want to think about it. Our relationship was still fairly new to be adding the subject of offspring to the mix.

I dressed into my work attire and let my hair down to air dry and would pull it up in a messy chic clip later. I wanted to find Evan and see how he was doing.

I smiled when I made it to the bar of my kitchen and a mug was already waiting for me steaming with the Columbian aroma waking me up further.

“Good morning,” I said softly.

Evan looked up from the plate he stood over chewing and smiled warmly at me. “Good morning…bacon?” He offered. I shook my head no and sipped on my coffee. How strange – an awkward moment.

“Is everything okay? I mean with the trial… us?” I asked blurting it out before I could stop myself.

Evan studied my face before responding. “As far as for myself yes. I’m happy,” he paused for effect. “I am mostly upset about Hollister’s intrusion into our life.”

“I don’t like it much either,” I frowned, but recalled how he held my hand in court and that if it wasn’t for that, I would have crumbled. “He was actually supportive in court yesterday.”

“Yeah, well he’s nothing but argumentative with me.” Evan walked around the kitchen bar and stopped in front of me. “We don’t have court again until next week so let’s do something this weekend.” He leaned forward to kiss my forehead.

“What about moving? It’s almost done.”

“I know, I’ll have Kyle work on it if he can. We need to get back to each other in a stress free fun way.”

I looked up at him and was surprised to see fear there in his eyes but it disappeared as soon as I saw it.

“I never left,” I mumbled.

“I know, but this,” he waved his hand around as if the trial was in the air right in front of us to watch. “Feels like it’s pulled us apart somehow to me and I don’t like that.” Evan bent down as Boxer nudged him to give him some petting. He had just walked back in from the back snorgling. “I fed him.”

“You spoil him,” I smirked.

“I wasn’t really much of an animal person before,” Evan chuckled thoughtfully.

“Really?” I raised an eyebrow and my tone an octave. I didn’t know that about him. Then again the first time he interacted with my pet was escorting us to the vet. It was a pleasant memory for me despite Boxer’s illness.

“I guess you never noticed it,” his tone was fond and I shook my head. It still bothered me I never knew something that simple. Maybe we did need time together as a couple at least more of what a normal couple does together. Not therapy and business.

“Alright, let’s get to work,” I said glancing at the time clearing my head of those thoughts.

“Don’t forget. Think of somewhere you’d like to go for the weekend,” Evan reminded me as we walked out to our separate vehicles.