Chapter Fourteen

Quick Note: I know some of you are sick of these scenes but there is many reasons why I am puting a lot of them in right away in the story. For one the majority of the 2nd half of this book won't have any. Two, I can't tell you reason two yet. =P I didn't really plan on it in this chapter but it is just what comes to me and I go with that flow. I also noticed a few of you seemed confused by the last chapter. I will go over it again and make sure its consistent with the story since it had been a month since I udpated. I did so when I started writing it so not sure where the confusion is coming from. Also, the picture on the right is of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The dedication is to a new friend and old fan and reader of this book series who's sister tagged me in a post about her talking about my books to her on faceook. It made my day to see that and surprised the shit out of her sister. =D So here is a dedication for being such a funny and loyal fan. =D

*

*

Most would find it strange to be out on the beach in March, but not in California. The breeze was cool, the water warmed in a few minutes after you got used to it and stayed that way and if you stood long enough in the sun light you’ll want the shade just as much as if it were July. The blue water lapping against the light colored sand was a soothing sound and the whole view put together was breathtaking.

Evan and I had just arrived to Santa Cruz, checked into our hotel and decided to go on a beach stroll first. Sunset would be starting soon as we left soon as we got off work. There was still plenty of fun to be had.

“What do you want to eat?” Evan asked. We both looked behind us and could hear the screams and mechanical whirring of the roller coasters in the distance.

“Something greasy and fried,” I said and bounced back over to him from where I had been playing in the surf of the water holding my flip-flops. Both of us in the typical beach attire: shorts and a light sweater on over my bikini and Evan in a black tank top and board shorts, he wrapped an arm around my waist and we turned towards the boardwalk.

We took our time walking through and spotting attractions we might want to try. There was so much in such a small area. Besides the thrill rides which I had not been on in years and they still looked the same there was many other things to do such as the pier, mini-golf, laser tag, an arcade and bowling.

My 'greasy and fried' request had us settling in for dinner at the ‘Dipper Diner’. A restaurant near the ‘Giant Dipper’ roller coaster and probably the oldest and most popular on the boardwalk. The coaster has been in a few movies such as a classic favorite, The Lost Boys, Keifer Sutherland was always nice eye candy.

“Just as you asked greasy and fried,” Evan chuckled as we looked over the menus.

“I’m being bad and felt like switching it up this weekend.”

“All in the name of fun.”

“And stress free fun.”

We both laughed deciding on what to eat. The screams of the riders kept the volume and atmosphere high and pumped with excitement since the restaurant was so close to the main entrance of the coaster itself. It made meaningful conversation difficult. Maybe this would just be a night to unwind and not worry about any of that. The greasy cheeseburger was delicious too.

We continued strolling through the boardwalk as night fell. We watched a side attraction street magician perform and tipped him. Sharing a funnel cake we got on the sky lift to take us back down the boardwalk without having to walk it and closer to where we had parked.

It was quiet up here and above everything. The sounds were muffled as we looked down and over the boardwalk and beach though you could barely see it in the dark. Only the white of the surf as it hits the sand when the waves roll in is the only way to tell where the beach ends and the water begins.