Chapter Twenty Three

Quick Note: Three week wait. Not sure how long this chapter will turn out. But I already know exactly what most of you will say. At least about a dozen ideas are rolling around in my head. I will just let it speak for itself and see if I am right. I love you all and sorry for the wait. I honestly didn't want to do it because that means its almost over. But there is still plenty to come. *giggles*

*

There was some kind of upheaval about the case that postponed the next court day a few more days. Since I was scheduled to testify, I called Mr. Kelton daily from work to find out what was going on, but he wasn’t being very forth coming, not even with Evan.

I asked several times if Kelton was telling him anything and he would always shrug and say no, just that there might be new information on the case.

Arriving with Evan to court a week and a half after his official proposal, the place was crowded. A few press were in attendance even. Although, there was a sign on the courtroom doors that said: ‘No Press Allowed While Court Is In Session’.

Evan kept his expression plain as I took a seat in the crowd and he squeezed my hand reassuringly as he sat down ahead of me with Kelton. Everyone seemed to be here, Kyle, Eddie, Hollister, Suzanne even. What was going on? The only time Suzanne was here was for her testimony.

I noticed since she claimed to be a witness to Evan leaving, Detective Riley sat next to her. Everyone who was in some way big or small involved was in attendance. It made me nervous.

Kelton turned around and nodded at me in greetings. I let out a breath, but jumped when a hand rested on my shoulder.

“Good morning, Sonja,” Hollister whispered in my ear from behind. “I hope you are well.”

“Very much so. What do you want?” I turned to look at him refusing to give any of my nerves away.

“I heard you are going to finish with the work on my account.”

“I was told to do so. I didn’t request it.” I turned away from him.

“I’m grateful.” He murmured as I heard him sit down and lean back in a chair from behind.

More people took their seats and when the bailiff began moving around things quieted down as the judge entered and got the show started. I glanced across the room and saw that Suzanne was looking just as confused as I was. Probably curious why everyone was here. Eddie glanced sideways at her with a grim expression.

My attention swiveled back to the front when I heard the judge say: “Today looks like an interesting one. Go ahead and start Mr. Kelton.” The Judge sat back as Evan’s lawyer stood up.

He called Evan to the stand instead of me.

I was the only one that looked surprised. I thought the accused was usually the last to testify….

Evan stood and took the stand in a silent calm. After he was ‘sworn in’ his eyes rested on mine. I tried to smile encouragingly.

“There’s been a lot said about you so far Dr. Jacobs,” Kelton started as he stood behind the desk. “Can you start by telling us why you are remotely affiliated with the victim, Jerry Alston?”

“Sure. The deceased is the ex-boyfriend of my current girlfriend.”

“Sonja Winters?”

“Yes.” Something played behind his eyes as he held my gaze as he spoke.

“As has already been stated, we met in therapy. She was my patient.”

“And the two of you pursued a romantic relationship outside of that?”