Chapter 16: Oh What A Night(part2of2)

Summer's POV:
(the picture above is what Summer is wearing, with green hightop chucks, socks scrunched down)

"Are you nervous", asked Lainie. In about thirty minutes, I was gonna be up there singing Karaoke. The song I had chose, was one of my favorites, "I
Love Rock 'n Roll".

"Honestly, I'm really not, but have you seen Dinger anywhere, I just figured he'd at least come to this". Before Lainie could respond, Bobby walked up, and wisked her away so that they could get front row seats.

I sighed and started to tune the electric guitar, that I'd bummed off some guy at the party-I'd left mine at home. When I was finished, I made sure the band was ready. "Is there a big crowd", the drummer asked me.

Peaking through the heavy, violet curtains, and gasping. Not at the fact that there were about two-hundred teenagers there. But at the fact that I could see flaming red hair in the midst of all the people.

"Yeah, there's a lot man", I answered, then I started setting up the additional equipment. Finally, everything and everyone were ready, "back me up good boys". I watched as the curtains opened, and then ripped into the guitar.

People gasped, they really didn't know I could play!

"Saw him dancin' by the record machine
I knew he must've been about seventeen
The beat was goin' strong
An' playin' my favorite song".

As I went into the next part of the song, people started clapping along to the beat. Some were even yelling my name, it was exhilarating. I couldn't help but smile as I sang the words.

My eyes locked with Dinger's he was smiling, and singing along, beer in hand, arm wrapped around Shelly. But I didn't care much, I just finished the song.

"Said can I take you home where we can be alone".

I was actually playing the guitar a lot better than the back up guy, so he was nice enough to let me have the solo. The crowd's cheers and rants got even louder, as I got down my knees, I was going to town on the damn guitar.

"So come an' take your time an' dance with me"!

The song was finished, and the crowd was still cheering my name. I handed my guitar to my back up guy, and bowed. After that I wiped my bangs out of my eyes and went backstage to have a beer.

"Boo", a goofy, familiar voice whispered in my ear from behind me. I jumped, Dinger had scared me(which was a first).

"You look good", Dinger told me, his arms still wrapped around my slender waist. I laughed, "what about sexy", I joked. Dinger looked me up and down, stopping at my lips, "yeah I'd say sexy, I'd say real sexy", he answered, in a raspy voice.

Dinger had never used this tone on me before, it was weird, yet I liked it-but only a little. "You were amazing up there, by the way, I didnt know you could sing, or shred the guitar".

"I guess we didn't cover that, when we were discussing the 'deep stuff'". Dinger let me go(much to my relief-I was beginning to not mind being so close to that boy) and tossed me a can of beer.

"Me and Kristy broke up, well I broke up with her really", Dinger said, picking at his cuticles. I'm just putting it out there, me holding back a grin at this good news, doesn't mean that I'm happy about this.

Because in order for me to be happy about this, I'd have to be sad about them dating in the first place-which I most certainly was not!

Taking a swig of my beer, "how come", I asked trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. Dinger shrugged as if he didn't care, I looked in his eyes, and could tell that he really didn't.

"She cheated on me, I caught 'er about an hour ago". Arching my eyebrow, "kinda like when you cheated on her with Shelly".
He rubbed his chin, "yeah kinda like that........ wait a minute, how'd you know"?

I laughed, finishing the rest of my beer, "because I might've seen you and Shelly making out the other night". "Oh", was all Dinger said. "And Bobby might've seen the same thing".

Dinger gasped, "so that's why you and Bobby have been freezing me out lately"! I rolled my eyes at his ignorance, "look Bam I gotta go apologize to Bobby, after all that is his own flesh and blood".

I watched Dinger go, but then he came running back. Saying uncertainly, "hey Bam, would you maybe like to hang out later"? Dinger was shifting from foot to foot, he was nervous-really nervous.

"You mean like later tonight"?
He nodded slowly, then scratched the back of his neck. "Oh, and maybe tomorrow to, I've just missed you that's all", he added.

My cheeks went red, and so did Dinger's, "alright, I'll make sure to leave my window open for ya". Dinger grinned from ear to ear, "okay, just don't fall asleep, bye Bam"!

When he left I noticed that I was still smiling, I rolled my eyes at my own excitement. "Feelings yuck, they make me sick".